Thread: Older Model 11 vs Axis

Older Model 11 vs Axis

Hi Everyone. A little over 10 years ago I bought a pair of .243's for Father/Son hunting. I wanted us to have the same platform & the same caliber. I bought these from a guy who did the same thing before upgrading to 7mm Rem Mag.

Mine is a model 110, 22", 4 rd blind magazine.
    My son's is a model 11, youth, 20" with the detachable box mag. It was a package with a Simmons 3-9x40 8 POINT scope.
    Recently I wanted to sell the youth model, on another forum, as my son and I have graduated to a .308.
    I was asking $350 for the package.
    I received a couple of "not so friendly" replies including a "low ball" offer of $150 as a NEW Axis can be had for $250.
    I looked on GB and a new Axis is $250 but a current model 11 is around $569
    How is the Axis so much cheaper and what can I reasonably expect to get for the 11?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    I just bought a nice one with very little use at a pawn shop for 200. So I would 200-275 depending on scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my area a used model 10!is usually in the $300 to $350 range, I buy everything I find sub $200.

You have to remember that the gun market is very soft right now. It is a buyer's market. You would do better to keep the Model 11 to sell when the market is better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

I bought a new Model 11 XP Trophy Hunter w/Nikon 3-9X40 for $389.99 a couple years ago (I got a whopping $10 off regular as a "special" along with a 50 pack of Hornady brass tossed in because no one wanted a .260 Rem). $350 for a used M11 youth rifle with a Simmons may be overly optimistic.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I'd recommend holding on to it, you can't get what it's really worth and you never know what lies ahead such as grandchildren. Just my two cents.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.
    I'm not in a rush ..... it's barely been out of the safe in 10 years!
    It does take up space but I can always make more of that.
    I realize a lot has changed. 10 years ago the Axis didn't exist nor did the accutrigger or accustock.
    And what I paid 10 years ago doesn't matter.
    I just thought $150 for a rifle with less than 1 box [20 rds] through it was too cheap. I also realize their are a limited number of people who would be interested in that particular configuration.

If it were me I’d buy a used barrel and Stock and make it a 308.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    If it were me I’d buy a used barrel and Stock and make it a 308.

That's a good idea. I already have a "hog hunter" barrel I was going to use for a chassis build with the 110.

Looking for stocks is a whole other thing. I assume mine are "long action" with the almost 5" center to center distance on the action screws?

I tried looking on GB & ebay but most seem to be SA.

Any other good sources at reasonable prices?

Basic Member
    Your 110 may be a long action 5.062" c to c
    The model 11 .243 most likely is a short action 4.41" c to c
    Pays to double check those dims before ordering a stock.
    Great project though! Sky is the limit and the satisfaction with the end result is well worth it.
    Good luck,
    Randy

Basic Member
    The problem with a youth rifle is you are competing with what most people buy for their kids. A very inexpensive rifle that will get 'traded up' in a few years. Add to that the current trend to offer rifles with stocks that have adjustable length of pull so it can be purchased for the kids and then the spacers put back in as they grow up. Both types are relatively inexpensive these days from several mfgs.

What you would need is a person with more money to spend for his kid's first rifle. Not many out there.

I agree with the idea of using it as a basis for a build. Probably better than taking a beating on selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sport454 View Post
    That's a good idea. I already have a "hog hunter" barrel I was going to use for a chassis build with the 110.

Looking for stocks is a whole other thing. I assume mine are "long action" with the almost 5" center to center distance on the action screws?

I tried looking on GB & ebay but most seem to be SA.

Any other good sources at reasonable prices?
    Measure and see what you need I have a few laying around and may let one go for a reasonable price.

Going price for used Savages here in middle Georgia Is $200 to a max of $225 for one in good shape. Well used go for $150 OTD. Last one I picked up in 7mm/08 was $175 OTD.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Clearly I have a lot to learn about the different Savage models!
    And I overpaid for the two rifles I bought!!
    FWIW looking at the s/n chart at the top of this section, the 110 is a 1996 & the 11 is a 2006 which is consistent with what the guy I bought them from said.
    The 110 has some decent glass on it .... an older Redfield 3-9X50. High gloss is not usually my thing but I'll probably leave that one alone [for now]
    The 11 does have the 4.4 spacing so it is a SA.
    I'll probably bump that one up to the .308 .... same bolt face & magazine correct?
    The youth stock really isn't all that bad while wearing some thicker hunting clothing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport454 View Post
    Clearly I have a lot to learn about the different Savage models!
    And I overpaid for the two rifles I bought!!
    FWIW looking at the s/n chart at the top of this section, the 110 is a 1996 & the 11 is a 2006 which is consistent with what the guy I bought them from said.
    The 110 has some decent glass on it .... an older Redfield 3-9X50. High gloss is not usually my thing but I'll probably leave that one alone [for now]
    The 11 does have the 4.4 spacing so it is a SA.
    I'll probably bump that one up to the .308 .... same bolt face & magazine correct?
    The youth stock really isn't all that bad while wearing some thicker hunting clothing.
    You are correct, same magazine & bolt face.

Another thought may be to add a "Limbsaver" slip on recoil pad or similar (Simm's Vibration etc). They can add up to an inch of "length of pull". They look ok and cost approx. $40.

Basic Member
    Last Thursday I sold a used model 11, non-accutrigger for $350 to a guy that has a lot of savages. It was exactly what he wanted and he didn't even negotiate on the price. I bought it a couple years ago for $340 because it was a really nice rifle and I was happy to pay that price.