Thread: 220 Swift ?

Basic Member

220 Swift ?

Anyone know if the 220 Swift was ever chambered in a Savage ?

Basic Member
    They did for a short time, but rumor has it that a small outfit bought them all up and totally depleted the market. After recuperating from such a shock, the marketing executives got together and replaced that caliber with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Hello Hammer. Good to see you are still at it.

Jim at Apache has the reamer, he's been waiting on your call.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    ... and replaced that caliber with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    6.5 Creedmoor ?

Is that a 6.5 x 55 Swede "want to be" ?

Basic Member
    It's the artificially flavored substitute for those who can't out run the band wagon....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    The only ones I know of where the J series 112v single shots and the early 110v repeaters. I could be wrong about the latter. That gun has been rebarreled about 6 times now in different calibers but I still have the old .220 swift barrel.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    The only ones I know of where the J series 112v single shots and the early 110v repeaters. I could be wrong about the latter. That gun has been rebarreled about 6 times now in different calibers but I still have the old .220 swift barrel.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels
    Hammer is the infamous buyer of all barrels 220 swift. An original member of SS.com. A living legend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    It's the artificially flavored substitute for those who can't out run the band wagon....
    Ok, I gotta tip my hat to that one. Hit my “funny bone” like nobody’s business!

The 6.5CM is actually a great cartridge. I mean, it DOES want to be a 6.5-08 when it grows up!

Pleasure to make your acquaintance Hammer. I’d be interested in seeing your 220 Swift Savage.(If you’ve done one). I don’t have any experience with it other than just some basic research over the years. 223 has always been my “go to”, followed by the 22-250. And I dabbled a bit with the 223 WSSM around ‘05-‘06(good friend was into it). That’s been my dealings with .224” calibers, but I’ve always been curious of the Swift.

Basic Member
    I grew up around one as my father had a model 70 chambered in it.
    I frankly was never much impressed by either. (The gun and cartridge)
    So much so when my sister made some noises about me inheriting it i gave it to her.
    Probably another one of the mistakes I’ve made but I’ve not regreted it.
    If looks could kill it would since my BIL has attached an old Unertle onto it.
    He don’t know the blocks aren’t spaced right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    If looks could kill it would since my BIL has attached an old Unertle onto it.
    He don’t know the blocks aren’t spaced right.
    He is likely one of these mislead individuals, plagued with an ignorance of believing the OLD Vietnam era “Sniper Rifles” are the PINNACLE of shooting excellence!

As a Knifemaker, I run into this with blade quality. There are many who believe the OLD Japanese Samurai Swords are the utmost “PARAMOUNT” in blade performance. When in fact, one of my blades I mane using CPM3V high alloy, would rip through ANY of these forged style Japanese pieces. Again, it’s just ignorance at work. And really no convincing those stuck in its grips. Just look at pretty much every Demoncrat with their TDS, LOL!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Dave Hoback;463723]He is likely one of these mislead individuals, plagued with an ignorance of believing the OLD Vietnam era “Sniper Rifles” are the PINNACLE of shooting excellence!

Well some of those snipers performed very well all things considered.
    The high numbers obtained by the modern day snipers are largely due to high target volume in urban settings, more so than equipment or shooter quality.
    I wouldn’t rule out Whitefeather hanging in there with the best today has to offer while using his old (vintage) equipment in the same arena.
    Using one of those scopes was akin to driving a stick shift car.
    Not hard assuming you knew how, which was the problem for some using them.

Basic Member
    But I think if he had to choose he'd go for a modern S&B scope and probably the .338 for the super long range stuff. IIRC he used a few different rifles in his day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    But I think if he had to choose he'd go for a modern S&B scope and probably the .338 for the super long range stuff. IIRC he used a few different rifles in his day.
    If you read the book by Seal sniper Chris Kyle written prior to his death, you really wont learn all the that much about L/R shooting in my opinion.
    Remember, he had 3 deployments in order to reach the total numbers of kills he had, which almost ended his marriage.
    So with all due respect to him and what he accomplished, there can be little doubt of what his mission was.
    He was issued as i recall 5 different rifles from 223 up to 50 caliber.
    His favorite, and the one accounting for most of his kills, was a 300 Win Mag with a Nightforce scope zeroed for 400 yds.
    He did not dial the scope for the majority of his shots. He simply held center mass and held up or down as the distance required.
    His longest shot was around 2000 yds with the 338 Lapua, and he admits it was a BS luck shot, as he had used all the elevation the scope had and still held over the target when he touched off the round.
    Now, Ive done a considerable amount of extreme distance shooting with a 338, considerably better than the Lapua.
    Did the guy fall out of the tree? I wouldn’t argue that he did. Was the guy actually dead? Or was it just too close for his comfort level?
    I didn’t read where anybody actually went over and checked it out. And as for a spotter using a spotting scope? Remember were talking about 2000 yds.
    As for todays scopes and cartridges? Other than the 338, due to good bullets , there really hasent been any major improvement in 50 years.
    More choices yes, better balisticly? Not really.
    As for scopes? I’d say overall they are better at least for the masses Of people using them. But, a 10x prone possible score is still a 10x score, and i can remember that being done fairly regularly by good shooters using Unertle scopes 70 years ago. Fact is we killed more l/r bucks 50 years ago using Unertle and Bausch & Lomb scopes than we do today. I sold my 60s model B&L 6X24 target scope about 8 years ago and replaced it with a Nightforce 8x32 NXS Benchrest, and I’m not convinced that (for me,) for what i do, that it was an improvement, especially when considering the cost.

Banned
    While I agree that design wise, really nothing new. But ballistically technology has increased substantially! Materials, bullet design, powder formulation all have had substantial improvements!

I understand your point Yobuck. And I absolutely believe when you say there really is no discernible difference given YOUR uses. But a modern rifle, scope & ammunition will FAR outperform the same from yester-year. Yes, at closer ranges there won’t be much difference..if any! But marksmen from 70 years ago were not accurately engaging targets at over a mile away! Just didn’t happen.

Where I completely agree with you is in design. Every other week it seems, there is a new “latest ‘n greatest” cartridge...that does the same thing that 7 other cartridges have been doing for years & years. (Increases through technology advancement, as I was saying). Modern “rage” now is these shorter cases & shoulder design. (Caugh-Caugh..Creedmoor..Cough). And right along side every new cartridge design is a fan club, touting it’s “inherent accuracy due to the decreased body taper & shoulder, yadd-yadda” LOL.

So for me, things like materials, bullets & powder, yes! Making the case a different shape?? No. And as for the men & women doing the shooting..then vs now? Well, human beings have increased ability across all areas of physical prowess & skill level. Records have continued to be broken through time, in sports. So, it would are sense that shooting skill has increased at the elite level as well.

220 swift

Basic Member
    Don't think Dillon Precision ever offered the 220 Swift as a conversion kit for their Super 1050, so I may have the only 1050 set up for the 220 Swift.

You have to keep those Swifts fed if you're going to impact those prairie dogs.

Well some of those snipers performed very well all things considered....I wouldn’t rule out Whitefeather hanging in there with the best today has to offer
    Thanks!

WOW. I take a few years+ off from all forums, and within a week I see Hammer. God bless Hammer. It was just a few weeks back, I attempted to entertain co-workers with the youtube vid
    on the "last 220 swift barrel"....but they just did not get it. Well, Mr. Hammer I too like the Swift, and eventually hope to make a savage 220swift from some used action and someone's barrel,etc.