Thread: Mark ii BTV Glass Beddding?

Mark ii BTV Glass Beddding?

Hey guys, I know there's more than a few videos out there on how to glass bed a rifle, but I'd like some detailed pointers if you don't mind. I've watched cavedweller1959 on you tube show how he glass beds his CZ 527 Varmint.

In my case, it's a Mark ii BTV. Here are some pics I took of the inside of the stock, 1 with the action inside, and one with the action in place.

Mark-II-BTV-WITHOUT-ACTION.jpg https://postimg.cc/dD73PJ0P

Mark II BTV WITH ACTION.jpg https://postimg.cc/7J4WVxsG

Last, with the action in the stock, and no action screws, if I push down on the top of the barrel, ahead of the tang, I get a slight up and down motion. SEE VIDEO: https://gofile.io/?c=JlcTYI

Obviously, when the action screws are tightened, that rocking motion is gone. Is there any benefit to me glass bedding this thing in the first place?

Thanks.

Check out Gunblue490 on YouTube.. really good info and detailed. Google him and get a list of all his vids.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnerD View Post
    Check out Gunblue490 on YouTube.. really good info and detailed. Google him and get a list of all his vids.
    I like Gunblue490 as well. Only problem with his videos is that he takes and hour to explain something that shouldn't take 5 minutes to explain because he's always drifting off on tangents.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

It's so funny you say that, — about the tangents. I really like how lengthy his videos are. He's kind of like your grandfather, explaining to you how things actually are, dispelling all of the myths and BS that people believe about firearms.

I watched both of his bedding videos. It's a task I could perform, but I don't know how much more accurate my rifle would be. My action seems to fit perfectly inside the stock. Without the action screws installed, if I try to make the barrel/action move side to side, nothing moves.

The only thing I notice without the action screws installed, is that if I push downwards with my finger on the first 2-3" (in between the rear of the picatinny rail and the ass end of the bolt)
    SEE: http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms...IMG_1743-L.jpg — (Not my rifle, just using this for as the example), my action moves up and down. The rear part of the action pushes down, and at the same time the barrel comes up a bit, and makes a K-Klunk sound.

This is what made me think it would be best to glass bed it. But again, when the action screws are installed, that rear part of the receiver pushes down - as if it's supposed to. It's the only way it can sit, with the action screws tightened.

I mean, these are mass produced factory rifles, and still it's very accurate. I just want it to fit like a jig-saw puzzle piece - perfectly balanced and coupled at the action screws.

Should it rock up and down like that - without the action screws installed? SEE VIDEO: https://gofile.io/?c=JlcTYI

Do all Mark ii's do this?

Basic Member
    This may be a bit late, but here goes. I got a BTVss about 2 years ago. It shot like crap. Rifling looked like it was done with a tap. Sent it back, they sent me a new one. Out of the box it shoots better than my Rem 513T. I may or may not bed it, depends on how I feel this winter. I'm not really sure GB does that much unless you have a barrel and receiver that can improve from it. Figure out what you have before starting out on a venture. You can fix the floor plate with bedding instead of that expensive plate available. Unfortunately Savage kept my old one. My MKII does not rock in the stock, but I'm not impressed with the Boyd's stock at any rate. Too much empty space, drilled out for every rifle they sell.

If you want to add multiple pillars, the 12-32 threads can be drilled out for 1/4-28 hex head bolts and installed. Whoever decided on 12-38 is a nut.