Thread: Thoughts on an Older 110 for a Build

Thoughts on an Older 110 for a Build

I came across a Savage 110 at a store the other day at what I think is a reasonable price for a donor for a build. Based on the serial and information on another thread, it looks like it was made in 1963 (37XXX). My goal is to build a 6.5 Creedmore with it. It's currently a 30-06. I've got a few questions I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks might help me out with.

1. Are there any issues with re-barreling, re-stocking and re-trigggering an older model like this? Am I going to run into issues getting parts?
    2. The safety on this rifle feels like it is a 2-position safety as opposed to a 3-position that I have seen on so many other Savages. Does that seem right for an older model?
    3. I know I can use a short action for 6.5 CM, but is there any reason not to use a long action for it?

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Team Savage

The pre-66 110s had a 2 position safety, as well as a unique barrel, bolt, and trigger. A later model would be a much better platform for your project.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    The pre-66 110s had a 2 position safety, as well as a unique barrel, bolt, and trigger. A later model would be a much better platform for your project.

Thank you for that reply. I was kind getting that idea. I think I'll keep watching for a later platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling M12 View Post
    Thank you for that reply. I was kind getting that idea. I think I'll keep watching for a later platform.
    Far less headaches with a newer 110/10 action and aftermarket support is very good.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I also turned down an old 110 30-06 at a good price. I am looking for a donor for a 6.5 PRC. I thought long and hard about using one of the short actions that I have on hand, but this and other forums showed me the error of my ways. Now I see that Savage has 7 models of the 110 in 6.5 PRC. Just keep looking for a newer action and why not a short action or was it just the deal on that one gun?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyLRP View Post
    I also turned down an old 110 30-06 at a good price. I am looking for a donor for a 6.5 PRC. I thought long and hard about using one of the short actions that I have on hand, but this and other forums showed me the error of my ways. Now I see that Savage has 7 models of the 110 in 6.5 PRC. Just keep looking for a newer action and why not a short action or was it just the deal on that one gun?
    It was a $200 rifle. I don't see too many Savages that cheap. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I agree a short action will do for my purposes, but I have seen .223 in long action and figured that it would work for a 6.5CM as well.

Basic Member
    It was a $200 rifle. I don't see too many Savages that cheap. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I agree a short action will do for my purposes, but I have seen .223 in long action and figured that it would work for a 6.5CM as well.
    I had a nice looking like new old 110 in.223 also. I never could get it to shoot even though it was like new. I think Savage like most of the other manufacturers are way ahead now on their barrels. It had a nice wood stock, which I like, but the trigger was not accutrigger and had to be replaced with an aftermarket trigger to fell an adjust right. Nice to collect, but not to build on.

Basic Member
    Sales time of year...
    Look around. I can pick up Hog Hunters now for $420 (dealer price, retail would be a bit more). Sell the .308 barrel as a new take-off for around $100, and you're into new rifle, sans barrel- for not much more than you'd ever find a recent used one.

You only need an action for a custom build.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Were it in good condition I'd have bought just to keep as is. Already have one in that vintage and it's a good shooter.

Not knowing your intended use, Cabela's current pricing for the 12FV (available in 6.5CM) is $345 after rebate.

Edit to add:

There's a good topic in the FAQ chronicling the history of the 110, here's a quote from that article that explains why I advised the pre-66 110 would not be a good choice for a build.

To start, it must be pointed out that those Model 110's made between 1958 and the end of 1965 are vastly different than those made from 1966 and on. The early guns are typically easy to identify as they have a bump or raised boss in the barrel to which the rear iron sight is dovetailed into. Additionally, the bolts were uniquely different in that the early bolt heads were shrouded and used a spring-clip style extractor. Parts between the pre-66 and post-66 rifles are generally not interchangeable due to these differences, and efforts were made by Savage during the redesign to make sure that many critical pre-66 parts couldn't be accidentally used on a post-66 rifle or vise-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    There's a good topic in the FAQ chronicling the history of the 110, here's a quote from that article that explains why I advised the pre-66 110 would not be a good choice for a build.
    Thanks for that info. I will look up that FAQ and do some studying. It is my understanding that Savage started using SNs that started with letters in 1968 so anything that starts with a letter will work.