Thread: 110 S Cast loads

110 S Cast loads

I have a Savage model 110S with a serial number starting with D307. I would like to shoot some cast loads. I'm looking for something suitable for chicken and pigs and another load for turkeys and rams. I've tried .309 LBT 165 and Lyman 311299 sized at .309 with less than desired results. I am now thinking of going to .310 sized lead and linotype for the ram load. I don't cast and have been buying from Montana Bullet

Basic Member
    What cartridge is it? I am shooting cast in my 12BVSS in .308 with good results. I also started with Montana Bullet Works to see what worked in my rifle. I had better results with the RCBS 165SIL than the Lyman. I think the Lyman was a bit too big in the bore riding section for my rifle. And mine are sized at .309

I take it you are shooting silhouette? How fast are you trying to push these? I find that anything past 2000fps produces a bit of leading. Have you cleaned the bore well and gotten rid of all traces of copper? Some folks do drive cast bullets faster but lube becomes critical.

I have also found that powder is important. I use IMR4198 at around 24gn with the Lee 180gn bullets. 25gn with the RCBS165.

If you are not going to cast why go this route? While I like Montana Bullets they are a bit high on price compared to Amax bullets, which shot well in my rifle.

Basic Member
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...cahh20cm7jhj83

This is all you need. It is one of the most accurate cast bullets you can get for 308 and 3006. One guy has run it up to 2900fps aand stil able to hold 1.5 moa out to 500 yds. But you have to know what you are doing with cast. It is not as simple as loading a jacketed bullet.

Basic Member
    If you want to see what the competition folks use go here.

https://castbulletassoc.org/match-results

They are nice enough to give full specs about rifles, bullets, lubes and powder charges. I did not see that NOE mold but there are other NOE bullets being used in the matches. If I am doing things right the Lee bullets will do 1.5MOA at range. Have not tried them at 600yd yet but at 300 I've had a couple of groups less than 3". There are a lot more variables to play with when making and shooting cast bullets.

You didn't say at what distance you are shooting, rams at 200 or 500 M ?
    First, I would try some .310 sized bullets, and if you are shooting at rifle ranges [rams @ 500 M] then I would look at 311284.
    As Charles B saidIf you are not going to cast why go this route? While I like Montana Bullets they are a bit high on price compared to Amax bullets, which shot well in my rifle.

Unless you are shooting at pistol Sli. ranges and the match Dir. requires loads that don't damage the targets , then look at reduced loads and look for supply houses that sell seconds /blems, Midway had some 30 cal seconds as well as did Powder Valley

Basic Member
    And just to muddy the waters a bit.... :)

I started powder coating bullets instead of lube. So far it is a hit. MOA groups out to 300yd so far. Easy to do and only equipment needed is a sizing die and an oven (best not to use the kitchen one :) ). Not messy at all and no leading. Seems to leave less powder fouling as well. I am still shooting at 1800fps but others are going much faster.