Thread: New Barrel

Basic Member

New Barrel

I am considering a barrel for 600/1,000yd BR shooting, in 6mmBR Norma,(prefit). I’m thinking a 30” Savage Full Bull. I’m looking at CBI and Shillen

Anyone have a preference for one over the other?

Suggestions for other choices will also be considered. THANKS

Both barrels have a good reputation as shooters.And, there are others offering prefit barrels. Just shop around and check lead time and $$$ is.
    Since you didn't list your location it's hard to give advice on other chamberings that offer better win bucking
    ability if wind is a factor where you plan to shoot.
    Check the 1000 yard winners at the ranges you plan to shoot at and see what they are shooting.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply Shooter. At this point, I am committed to the 6mmBR Norma. I am aware of the popularity of the BR improved versions. The 6Dasher has been a hot # for some years. Lately the 6mmBRAI has jumped up in popularity. I’m not ready to go there yet because I feel it requires a custom chambering and dies and everything else that goes with it. I could fight the wind with a 260Rem I already have, but the recoil is a distracting factor. With this barrel, at this point in time, I want a Savage drop in, and stock dies. Then I need bench time, trigger time, rest time, reloading time, etc.

At My last match, My relay included at least 2 “hall of famers”. For Me to win a relay like that would have to be pure luck, which could happen?

As stated above, both Shilen and CBI are great barrels. I have to lean towards the CBI as I have 3 of them now. All of them are .5 MOA shooters when I shoot them... With a better shooter they may be .25 MOA shooters as I've had a few groups that small.

I started with CBI because (at the time) they were the OEM for Krieger. I'm sure you'll be happy with either though.

Basic Member
    I put a 28 inch bull CBI in 6br on my buddies Savage. It'll put 5 into a group that measures in the zero's. I guess I'd recommend CBI as it shoots slightly better than my Shilen Match.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    From my experience with NNS and CBI its pretty hard to go wrong from a customer service and fine shooting barrels standpoint. Plus I actually get to talk to the CBI guys when they are at Brownells.

Basic Member
    Gentlemen, thank You for Your response. I have been leaning toward CBI and Jim at NSS and You have reinforced My decision. Now I have to decide if I really need a 30” barrel or if I can get by with a 28”. My thinking is for the 6 BR, I need all I can get for 1,000 yds. But if I go with a 28” barrel, I won’t have to cut a hole in My favorite rifle case to let the barrel stick out.

Will the additional 2” (in this case ) make a diffetinative difference? THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Will the additional 2” (in this case ) make a diffetinative difference? THANKS
    Roughly 50 fps at most. A wise man once told me, "a slow hit is better than a fast miss". remember... the longer the barrel the more "whip" you'll have. Shorter barrel will be stiffer and therefore "more accurate" theoretically.

No sense in punching a hole in your gun case for 50 fps. Just my opinion though.

Basic Member
    Ok, I’m almost there. Is there an obvious advantage of a Large Shank barrel over a Small Shank, for long range target shooting? All Savage target rifles and actions have Large Shank. Can .065” be a significant contribution to accuracy? All My actions at this time are Small Shank, so going with Large Shank would be starting over in a new direction. I think I see some new numbers coming to My Credit Card statement

Basic Member
    I don’t believe a large shank barrel has any accuracy advantage over a small shank barrel. I large shank barrel may be advisable depending on the cartridge you intend to shot.
    I sure a more knowledgeable member will correct the above statement if incorrect or limited in scope.

Banned
    you never said where you intend to shoot.
    you did not say what twist
    i do shoot both i use a 6 dasher with 105's and 300 win mag with 210 bergers
    28" dasher/30+ on the 300 win mag, 8 and 11 twist
    without neck turned brass and chamber you are at a disadvantage.
    you are ok at 600 but challenged at 1000.
    f class wins do not translate to benchrest wins. the f class targets is 7 times larger in area in the x ring in f class.
    what throat are you getting.
    you can shoot as low as 74/80 at 600 but not at 1000...100 plus rules.
    have fun/ask questions
    ( i took 3rd overall sunday in a 600)

Basic Member
    Thanks to all the helpful replies, I made My decision this morning. I called Jim Kessler at NSS, He promptly returned My call and I placed My order. Jim had a suitable barrel in stock. I ordered a CBI, 28”, Savage Bull, 1/8 T, Small Shank, in 6mmBR Norma. It will be shot mostly, perhaps solely at 600yds. I will be Shooting at Whitehorse (swirling wind) WV, and Bridgeville (steady wind) DE. I will be at a disadvantage with more than the chambering (rookie) but I have to start from where I am, using as much as I currently have. I intend to have fun and see where it takes Me.

Dealing with Jim Kessler at NSS was a real pleasure, and My barrel is on the Brown Truck.

Thanks to all

Basic Member
    Don’t worry about the big boys giving you an ass whuppin’ with your Savage, which they will. Have fun and learn.

Basic Member
    Your going to like that barrel

Between the Colorado and Ohio Rivers, north of Mexico and South of Canada
    Glad I searched before asking, this is exactly the thread I needed to find; thanks to all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Don’t worry about the big boys giving you an ass whuppin’ with your Savage, which they will. Have fun and learn.

Oh really? You mean like this one? Some ass...some whuppin.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/...-world-record/

Banned
    as usual, a reply that has NOTHING to do with the SUBJECT,
    shooting a 6mm br at 600 mand 1000 yards in BENCHREST COMETITION.
    NOT 600 NOR 1000 YARD DISTANCE.
    NOT BENCH SHOOTING FROM A REST
    NOT SHOOTING AT A TARGET WITH SCORING RINGS
    NOT SHOOTING A 5 OR 10 SHOT STRING
    so other than a savage rifle, NOTHING to do with the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Oh really? You mean like this one? Some ass...some whuppin.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/...-world-record/

I ordered a CBI, 28”, Savage Bull, 1/8 T, Small Shank, in 6mmBR Norma.
    Keep us posted on how the build works out.

Mikeinco.
    Word of the day.

Tact:

• n.
      Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.