Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How widespread is the Axis light primer strike issue?

How widespread is the Axis light primer strike issue?

First I’ve heard of this issue was checking in to this forum recently. I’ve got 4 of these rifles now and really like them. They’re hunting guns, so only 100 rounds or so through each rifle. No misfires so far. Super accurate and lightweight. The 2 older ones I’ve hunted with since 2012.

Minnesota had their first statewide youth hunt this year and half the photos I saw with a rifle in, it was an Axis youth model. Same thing I’ve noticed nationwide. The issue can’t be that widespread I wouldn’t think, or they wouldn’t still be selling like mad.
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Basic Member
    I just know that mine has not had the problem. Two years old now and over 2000rnds through it.

I'm having that problem with my Axis. I may have narrowed down the problem to an area in the bolt body rubbing on the FP. Polished the area and so far, that seems to have solved the issues popping primers in empty cases. Still have to try actual rounds at the range to confirm.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I'm having that problem with my Axis. I may have narrowed down the problem to an area in the bolt body rubbing on the FP. Polished the area and so far, that seems to have solved the issues popping primers in empty cases. Still have to try actual rounds at the range to confirm.
    GC,

What did you use to polish it?

I have put over 200 rounds through mine in the month I have had it with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    GC,

What did you use to polish it?
    Polishing compound and felt buffing wheel.

Never had a single issue with either of mine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I have 2 of these rifles, one an Axis II in 223. Rem.. The other a 308 Axis XP. The 308 shot fine unless using Military ammo but that all changed this summer... This precipitated me to disassemble the bolt. No dirt grime but the spacer and springs both of them had become tangled up so I untangled them put them back in same light strikes..

So I disassembled the bolt and built (machined) a much better brass washer to put between the two springs I also built a spacer to go into the rear threaded bolt cap (.125" ) to increase the spring tension in the FP... Now military ammo or anything else fires fine... Btw when this problem developed the rifle had around 1200 rounds through it... I don't like the washer between the 2 springs at all with the loose fit of the spring inside off the bolt and the fit of the spring on the FP I can't believe that this doesn't happen more frequently..

The Axis II in 223 has never had any problems.. YMMV..

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Never had a single issue with either of mine.
    how old and how many rounds through them?

Basic Member
    My .223 only fired 16 of 20 Hornady Frontier .223 Remington 55-Grain HP Match that I got at Cabelas. The unfired cartridges went through my AR no problem. The package was pretty worn and torn and looks like it had been sitting at Cabelas for quite a while, but I bought them because (1) I'm experimenting with different factory rounds for giggles and (2) they were on sale for like $5. It looked like the firing pin really gave the primer a good poke, so I'm just hoping it was those particular bullets which probably have cheap primers. If it becomes a trend, I'll allow Savage to address it under warranty.

I just got my 6.5 CM so I have no report on it. But my 30-06 has never had that problem. Hope you get it straightened out. Polishing the bolt sounds reasonable. I've had my 30-06 for 8 years now and I've never had a light primer strike.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer44mag View Post
    how old and how many rounds through them?
    2013 and 2014 production.

First one started as a 22-250 before being rebarreled to .284 Win. In total I probably put around 450-500 rounds through it before I parted it out a few months back.

Second one started as and remains a .223 Rem. and probably has 600-700 rounds through it at this point as it's become my main groundhog gun the last couple years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I ended up ordering new FP springs through my gunsmith and just got them in Yesterday. Everything I tried, polishing the FP, and the bolt interior failed to cure the light strikes. I hope to test the new springs today if the weather co-operates.

Basic Member
    Hope it does it for you.

Took the rifle to the club range yesterday for a function check. All rounds fired and upon checking the brass, the FP dents are noticeably deeper. In the past, I was storing the rifle in my safe with the bolt open putting the springs in a constant state of compression. This probably contributed to the springs taking a set. I no longer store the rifle that way hoping the problem will be solved for good.

Basic Member
    Just sent mine back to Savage for this issue with my .223. Doesn't fire like 20-30% of the ammo I give it. Doesn't matter who makes it or how fancy it is.

measure firing pin protrusion
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    measure firing pin protrusion
    One of the first things I did and it was fine. When the new springs arrived I compared them to the old ones and they were noticeably longer.

thanks for the update-
    sometimes you can stretch a spring and for sure a weak spring could do it - thats why I always drop the bolt while holding the trigger -de-compressing the fp spring when not in use I do this on all my firearms regardless of brand
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    thanks for the update-
    sometimes you can stretch a spring and for sure a weak spring could do it - thats why I always drop the bolt while holding the trigger -de-compressing the fp spring when not in use I do this on all my firearms regardless of brand
    I'm a whole lot confused on this. Do you close the bolt and pull the trigger then leave it like that. "Drop the Bolt" what is that? I have always stored my guns with the bolt closed. I never gave it any thought about closing the bolt then pulling the trigger and leaving it like that or just leaving the bolt open and I've owned rifles for 40 years and never had a problem with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I'm a whole lot confused on this. Do you close the bolt and pull the trigger then leave it like that. "Drop the Bolt" what is that? I have always stored my guns with the bolt closed. I never gave it any thought about closing the bolt then pulling the trigger and leaving it like that or just leaving the bolt open and I've owned rifles for 40 years and never had a problem with any of them.
    Best is to close the bolt but don't rotate the handle until you hold the trigger down. This uncocks the FP spring slowly. I too have never had any problems with other brands of rifles, commercial or military, but the Axis is a different breed with a screwed up FP system. I really wish Wolff would produce springs for the Axis.

All of my bolt guns are stored cocked, safeties on. Haven’t had a problem so far. Oldest Axis is 9 years old. They sit on distributor shelves for months with the bolt out and even more fully compressed before you buy them.

I have taken my 6.5 Creedmoor out twice now, got it zeroed and checked some new reloads. I thought I was having a problem with it last week. I bought some Hornady 140 gn. A-Max bullets for it. All of the data I have lists COL at 2.800. As always I loaded a dummy round and tried to chamber and the bolt would not close at all. I had Several cases that I had fired through it with 125 gn. bullets and 7 Hornady cases that were range police cases. All had been FL resized in my die, but the Hornadies seemed to be just .001 or .002 larger than my Winchester cases. After racking my brain the calipers found the problem. The shoulders weren't set back as much as required. I adjusted my FL sizing die about 1/8 a turn more into the press and viola, problem fixed. Took it out Saturday to shoot the 140gn. check rounds and it was smooth shooting. This is my second Axis and I am happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by rerun5 View Post
    I have taken my 6.5 Creedmoor out twice now, got it zeroed and checked some new reloads. I thought I was having a problem with it last week. I bought some Hornady 140 gn. A-Max bullets for it. All of the data I have lists COL at 2.800. As always I loaded a dummy round and tried to chamber and the bolt would not close at all. I had Several cases that I had fired through it with 125 gn. bullets and 7 Hornady cases that were range police cases. All had been FL resized in my die, but the Hornadies seemed to be just .001 or .002 larger than my Winchester cases. After racking my brain the calipers found the problem. The shoulders weren't set back as much as required. I adjusted my FL sizing die about 1/8 a turn more into the press and viola, problem fixed. Took it out Saturday to shoot the 140gn. check rounds and it was smooth shooting. This is my second Axis and I am happy with them.
    Glad you got it solved.

I just took my new axis II in 350 legend to the range today shooting Winchester 150g ballistic tip. 3 out of 18 rounds didnt fire. Thought it was the ammo because I did t have any issues with the ones that fired. Now I’m thinking I have a spring issue in a brand new rifle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast