Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How widespread is the Axis light primer strike issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Talan View Post
    I just took my new axis II in 350 legend to the range today shooting Winchester 150g ballistic tip. 3 out of 18 rounds didn't fire. Thought it was the ammo because I did t have any issues with the ones that fired. Now I’m thinking I have a spring issue in a brand new rifle?
    My Axis 243 wasn't very old when the FP springs started to act up. I only had about 250 rounds thru the rifle. New springs cured the problem. Had to order the springs thru the LGS as Savage wouldn't sell to me.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Light primer strikes are caused by 2 things. Defective firing pins (i.e. broken or too short) or springs. Not rocket science. Measure the firing pins protrusion or disassemble the bolt and check the springs. Replace as necessary.
    Light primer strikes are NOT caused by the trigger/ammo/moon phase!

Depends on how long and how much the Axis has been fired.

I have two Axis's One in 30-06 and my newest in 6.5 Creedmoor, and I haven't had any light primer strikes with either one. I would take either one on any hunt I went on. Sorry to hear some of you have had problems, I hope they get solved.

Basic Member

Axis Misfire. Possible fix?

Old post warning.

Close tolerances can slow firing pin speed. The round part can drag on the receiver. After firing, flush bolt/firing pin channel with WD 40. Or let Hoppe's No. 9 Powder Solvent run down the pin channel Before firing, lube with Break Free CLP, it contains Teflon. . I do this on both Axis 223 & 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    I didn't think it was a problem until about a week or so ago. I have had 2 misfires but it has shot probably 250-300 rounds so percentage wise it is not a huge problem. It does seem that it should not be happening at all though. None of the other guns have ever misfired.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I didn't think it was a problem until about a week or so ago. I have had 2 misfires but it has shot probably 250-300 rounds so percentage wise it is not a huge problem. It does seem that it should not be happening at all though. None of the other guns have ever misfired.
    Took my Axis in 450 Bushmaster to the range today to test loads. Shot Cast 273 grain poly coated gas check bullets over 12.5 to 13.1 grains of Unique, 450 mag primers in once fired Hornady brass trimmed to 1.690". Out of 15 round, I had three failures to fire and the primer indentations were shallow. I tried four times to fire the rounds w/o any luck. Since replacing the springs early last year I've put 1000 rounds thru the rifle to date. This problem is getting to be a PIA. I've completely stripped the bolt and cleaned it after getting home.

Basic Member
    The 450 Bushmaster head spaces on the case mouth. To much roll crimp is not good. If you didnt already know.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The 450 Bushmaster head spaces on the case mouth. To much roll crimp is not good. If you didnt already know.
    No roll crimp, used factory Hornady taper crimp die set to bring the case mouth down to .474".

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Old post warning.

Close tolerances can slow firing pin speed. The round part can drag on the receiver. After firing, flush bolt/firing pin channel with WD 40. Or let Hoppe's No. 9 Powder Solvent run down the pin channel Before firing, lube with Break Free CLP, it contains Teflon. . I do this on both Axis 223 & 6.5 Creedmoor.

I don't know the properties of the lubricants you are using when the solvents evaporate but every time I try to lubricate any part of the bolt internals I have problems. If anything I would completely clean the inside and remove any gunk to eliminate any sluggish firing pin travel. Again, I have not studied your particular lubricant's but I have plenty of others. That has been not only my experience but many others. A dry film may be a good option.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Pulled down the rounds that failed to fire and primers were like new and no burned powder at all. I've fashioned a spacer from a lock washer and will see how, or if the rifle will function.

Rifle functioned fine with loads having CCI 400 and CCI 450 primers. Primer strikes on the 450 primers still looked a bit shallow but they did fire. Looks like the thicker washer worked.

Basic Member
    Savage started using that same firing pin spring set up in 10,11 and 12 actions as well. I have a mod 11 trophy hunter that acted badly in this regard. The other issue is the real crappy design of the bottom bolt release. It is junk as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12