Thread: Need help deciding between 110 Tactical Hunter and 110 Storm (left hand)

Need help deciding between 110 Tactical Hunter and 110 Storm (left hand)

Folks,

I would appreciate some "thumbs on the scale" to help me decide between two left handed bolt action rifles, either a Savage 110 Storm in 6.5mm Creedmoor, or a Savage 110 Tactical, also in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I currently own a Model 14 in .308 with a bedded Boyd's stock, and an ML-10 II muzzleloader, also in a bedded Boyd's stock.

Here are the details of my usage:

1) factory, premium ammunition;
    2) regular range shooting off the bench, non-league environment. 100, 200 and 300 yards;
    3) occasional, longer range shooting in an outdoors, non-range, farmland environment, to 350 -400 yards;
    3) whitetail deer hunting from enclosed box stands and occasionally a ladder stand or posted up on the ground. No more than a .75 mile walk (each way) with the gun, and usually less than that;
    4) occasional coyote hunting during pre-dawn and daylight hours;
    5) Hunting shots range from 90 yards to 300 yards;
    6) Scope budget is about $900, for something mint and used off of ebay. I currently run a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x on my Model 14 in .308, and like it.

I am leaning toward the Tactical instead of the Storm for the following reasons:
    1) I suspect it may prove to be more accurate;
    2) my current Model 14 heats right up at the range unless my course of fire is very slow, and I am hoping that the heavier contoured barrel in the Tactical will allow me to maintain a cooler barrel than the sporter contour in a hunting rifle;
    3) The Tactical is about a pound heavier than the Storm, but I am hardly a mountain hunter, so the weight penalty doesn't seem like too big a tradeoff.

So, I would greatly appreciate any input from folks who hunt with the 110 Tactical or target shoot with the Storm, and would be willing to share their preferences. In closing, what's a thread without a pic, right? Here are my two lightly modified Savages, with a brandy new Glock 43X nestled in between!

Thanks to all in advance.

Basic Member
    I always choose the heavier barrel. All else being equal then, for your use, shorter barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawgie View Post
    Folks,

I would appreciate some "thumbs on the scale" to help me decide between two left handed bolt action rifles, either a Savage 110 Storm in 6.5mm Creedmoor, or a Savage 110 Tactical, also in 6.5mm Creedmoor. I currently own a Model 14 in .308 with a bedded Boyd's stock, and an ML-10 II muzzleloader, also in a bedded Boyd's stock.

Here are the details of my usage:

1) factory, premium ammunition;
    2) regular range shooting off the bench, non-league environment. 100, 200 and 300 yards;
    3) occasional, longer range shooting in an outdoors, non-range, farmland environment, to 350 -400 yards;
    3) whitetail deer hunting
    from enclosed box stands and occasionally a ladder stand or posted up on the ground. No more than a .75 mile walk (each way) with the gun, and usually less than that;
    4) occasional coyote hunting during pre-dawn and daylight hours;
    5) Hunting shots range from 90 yards to 300 yards;
    6) Scope budget is about $900, for something mint and used off of ebay. I currently run a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x on my Model 14 in .308, and like it.

I am leaning toward the Tactical instead of the Storm for the following reasons:
    1) I suspect it may prove to be more accurate;
    2) my current Model 14 heats right up at the range unless my course of fire is very slow, and I am hoping that the heavier contoured barrel in the Tactical will allow me to maintain a cooler barrel than the sporter contour in a hunting rifle;
    3) The Tactical is about a pound heavier than the Storm, but I am hardly a mountain hunter, so the weight penalty doesn't seem like too big a tradeoff.

So, I would greatly appreciate any input from folks who hunt with the 110 Tactical or target shoot with the Storm, and would be willing to share their preferences. In closing, what's a thread without a pic, right? Here are my two lightly modified Savages, with a brandy new Glock 43X nestled in between!
    A couple things came to mind -

How about using the .308 you already have for hunting, and getting a new rifle with more of a target focus?

Because you like 6.5 CM, the Savage Model 12 LRP comes to mind. Heavy barrel, target trigger, HS Precision stock. Not a gun you would tote around in the field, but could easily go the distance and more.

The biggest drawback would be that it doesn't look like they make it in LH.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=19136

Thanks for the replies. A left hand bolt, Accustock and Accufit are required. I can't quite get behind the Boyd's stock the way I want on My Model 14. Hopefully, the adjustability of an Accustock will allow me to dial the new gun it in to a closer fit. Arguably, the 110 High Country is a great all arounder for my application, but it is not made in a left hand model.

I am not a safe full of guns kind of guy. The Model 14 will probably be sold when I get the new rifle, so I won't get a full on long range rig that would be unrealistic for shorter field carry in a hunting scenario.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. The input is appreciated.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawgie View Post
    Thanks for the replies. A left hand bolt, Accustock and Accufit are required. I can't quite get behind the Boyd's stock the way I want on My Model 14. Hopefully, the adjustability of an Accustock will allow me to dial the new gun it in to a closer fit. Arguably, the 110 High Country is a great all arounder for my application, but it is not made in a left hand model.

I am not a safe full of guns kind of guy. The Model 14 will probably be sold when I get the new rifle, so I won't get a full on long range rig that would be unrealistic for shorter field carry in a hunting scenario.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. The input is appreciated.
    Based on your thoughts so far, I believe the 110 Storm would better fit your rifle needs. I don’t believe you’d see much difference in accuracy if most of your shooting is going to be at 100 to 400 yards. And while that extra weight and longer, heavier barrel may be nice when shooting off a bench, it will hinder handling in a box blind or off a ladder stand without a firm rest IMO.

Thanks jpdown. My ML10-II muzzy weighs all of 9 pounds before rail, rings and scope. It is definitely porky, but perfectly manageable for my short walk then sit hunting scenarios. I have reached out to Savage to see about a lefty High Country.

Even with fluted barrel and bolt, the 110 High Country is listed at 8.1 pounds, and the stainless 110 Storm is listed as 7.4 pounds. Not sure where the significant extra weight in the High Country comes from, as the High Country does not look like it has a heavier barrel profile than the Storm, and they both have 22” barrels, Accufit and Accustock....Can anyone clarify that for me?

The High Country does have a heavier barrel contour. Not as heavy as the 110 Tactical, but it is heavier - has to be to be fluted the way it is.

If you're wanting to shoot more than 3-4 shots consecutively at the range, go with the heavy barrel. Given everything else you mentioned though, I'd probably lean more towards the 110 Storm myself. A lot of guys like to fool themselves into thinking a heavier barrel automatically equals better accuracy which simply isn't the case. A sporter barrel will shoot just as well as any heavy barrel, it just heats up quicker meaning you can't sit at the bench and shoot off 5-10 rounds back-to-back without experiencing some horizontal spread as the heat builds up.

I've never minded the weight of rifles much in the past, but in the last year or two I've started to really appreciate and now favor my lighter ones. I just don't see the need or benefit of carrying around all that extra weight when my much lighter rifles shoot just as well. Granted, when I'm hunting I'm not sitting on my butt in a cozy blind or stand, I'm hoofing it, so that makes a difference as well.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain