Thread: My Second Savage Purchase

Basic Member

My Second Savage Purchase

Good Morning All,

I've recently been looking over rifles and thinking about my next rifle purchase. I think I've narrowed it down to the 10FCP-HS in .308 (no brake and no extended mag), or the 12 Long Range Precision in .260........sorta looking at the 110 High Country in 7mm-08, but not crazy about the fluting and the color. This rifle will mostly punch paper or steel, but could also find itself pointed at a deer or varmint. I've always carried heavy rifles, so I don't anticipate the weight being an issue.

Anyhow, wondering if there is any experience with these rifles out there, and anyone who wouldn't mind sharing.......also, the .260 really interests me, so if anyone has any thoughts about that cartridge, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
    Joe

Basic Member
    I like my 12BVSS (.308) and it shoots cast bullets very well.

My only comment would be the trigger. The High Country seems to have a std Accutrigger. The 12 LRP has a target version. Don't know which one the 10FCP has.

I agree with you about the color of the High Country, but, I like the look of wood stocks better anyway.

Banned
    As for the rifles...they are Savage. And they will be like most other Savages out there! I’ve been a long term Savage guy. Was my first high power rifle @ age 18, and a couple since. My current is a full build bench gun. And for target duty, building is the way to go. But with any aspiration to hunting, I think any of your choices will work well. But I’d have to give the nod overall to the 12 LRP. Believe it’s the finest action Savage produces.

As for 260, give a big thumbs up! I came down to either 260 or 6.5cm. Chose 260 and haven’t regretted it a single day. I will concede, however, if one is not a reloader..the 6.5cm clearly wins in more options off the shelf.

But my rig ONLY sees reloads. 260 is a proven long range target as well as medium size game round.

Basic Member
    I'm not reloading as of yet, and have other .308s, so I chose the Model 10 FCP HS Precision - as you know (https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...st-impressions).

If I were not invested in .308, I would probably go 6.5 CM, in which case I would get the Model 12 LRP for sure. I'm not familiar with .260, but I would like the fact the 6.5 is more commonly available in factory loads.

If you reload and aren't worried about adding another caliber, the .260 would be fine.

For your purpose, The LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Hands down in that price range. This can do anything you need it to do but a little heavy..

Big fan of the 7mm08 too but that is a hand loader cratridge for target shooting and 270 beater for a .hunting round. The 260 is also a hand loader cartridge and single load for the longer bullets.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.