So my father wants a new scope for his '54 99R. The problem is the guy who mounted the weaver pivot mounts did a poor job and the scope points left or right by several inches at 200yds compared to being right on at 100. Part of the reason for new scope is because the Tasco is at least 40yrs old with horrible glass and he needs the scope brought back over an 1" to get eye relief correct and cant do that with current mounts.

So I put a 1pc Leupold mount on it with an extended front ring thinking it would allow me to move a scope back and to get the scope parallel to barrel using rear windage screws. Well it didnt because the front ring mount is in front of screws so it just barely puts front ring behind the weaver flip mount. Also noticed that with just the 2 front screws in the base the back of the base is not on center of the receiver and rear screw hole doesnt line up with front hole of 2 piece mount in the left to right direction when looking from back. It's dead perfect front to rear though. Assuming I modify the base so I have all 3 screws in it, are the windage screws strong enough to pivot the front rings and hold them there? I would use a long steel dowel pin to pivot the mounts to get them parallel to barrel as best as I can, but will the front pivot mount stay in place when I remove steel pin to mount scope or will it return to center upon removal? Forcing the scope tube to realign front ring when it is clamped to rings and possibly how ever slightly bend the aluminum tube of a new scope.

Now at a quick glance it looks like that if I use just the front and rear screws in the base it should make it parallel to barrel, but be off center. I could then elongate the middle hole so I can use all 3 screws. Will I still have a problem with the poi being 3-4" off from 100yd to 200yds if scope isn't dead center left to right or would it only be an inch or so different? 1" or less my dad could probably live with.

The eye relief of his Tasco only seems to be 2" or less, so maybe with new scopes having greater eye relief I wont have to deal with moving scope back.

My other option is to buy the weaver #14 & 19 bases and order a set of extended Burris Z rings with plastic sleeves and hope I can get scope on center and parallel to bore. The weaver bases look to have the slots between the screws so extended rings would allow me to bring the scope back roughly an inch further then it is now and with greater eye relief scopes this could work better for my father.

What is everybodies opinion on fixing my issues? Any other ideaa?

Mike.