Thread: 350 Legend

350 Legend

Well after the IDNR went round and round about approving this cartridge as it technically doesn't meet requirements, they finally approved it. I have been on the fence for a more accurate deer "gun", but not overly excited about high bullet prices as I do not plan to reload for 20 or less bullets a year. The choices were;
    an AR 450 BM (but wasnt impressed from my buddies),

Marlin 444 that I have wanted since I was 12 (which everything is very expensive and most guns are to nice to hunt with and junk guns are priced the same as 95%ers),

converting a 12FV .308 to 45 Raptor (holy expensive bullets),

and then this little 350 legend cartridge popped up last Jan. At first I didnt know if I should just buy an upper for my AR, or sell an AR and buy an Axis II. Mulled over all summer, did a lot of reading and finally took a plunge and bought an 18" Ebaco Shaw barrel for my AR. As I found all I needed to change was the barrel and modify my 223 mags (grind out bullet divider in the front of the magazines - and they will still work with 223s).

If it weren't for asinine deer gun restrictions here this caliber would not even be on my radar. But I think it can be a good hog gun which I might now pursue a hunt with some relatives.
    The barrel will be going on a black friday DPMS. Im going to use factory hand guards unless groupings dont pan out. I am trying to keep everything low budget.

Still waiting for the 110 Hog Hunter in .350 Legend to show up that I requested for review back in early September. I did however get in the #177910 Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40mm .350 Legend scope today that I will also be reviewing on that rifle. It features their Custom Dial System (CDS) so once zeroed at 100 the turret cap is marked for 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350 yards. What factory load the dial is setup for and how close those yardage marks are to being true I don't know yet, but I do intend to find out if/when the rifle ever gets here.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'll be looking forward to the Leupold review. I seen a flier with that model on sale, very tempting. I considered, but also considered "for what load". For now I will use a trusty 20 year old Simmons 44mag.

From what I've read today the CDS dial is specific to the Winchester 150gr Deer Season XP load. Fortunately the trajectory difference between all the loads is only a few inches out to 200 yards so it will work with any of them. The 180's will print 3" below point-of-aim at 200 yards using a 100 yard zero and the Leupold's 200 yard mark on the CDS dial - verified being shot from a Savage Axis by a couple guys on an Ohio hunting forum I frequent.

My thought is that 200 yards or so is really the max I would want to take a shot on a deer given the velocity and energy with any of the factory loads at that distance. Between bullet expansion concerns at these velocities and the marginal sectional density of the caliber I just don't put much faith in it at greater distances. Time and field use may prove me wrong, and I'd be happy if it did, but that's my reservation for now.

The western boys will scoff at this cartridge and call it a worthless, but anyone who hunts back east knows most shots on whitetail deer are taken at 100 yards or less so it's more than up to the task. Personally I still think a little heavier bullet (200gr FTX for example) pushed at around 2,000 fps would be the ideal ticket for this cartridge for deer hunting. You need that extra weight to help make up for the lack-luster sectional density of this caliber bullet which is only marginally acceptable for most Class 2 game. Class 2 refers to all thin-skinned, hoofed game averaging under about 300 pounds in live weight. In North America this includes the various deer species, pronghorn antelope, sheep, goats, caribou, black bear and feral hogs.

I ran the factory loads and my hypothetical 200gr FTX load through StrelokPro and put together the following comparison. The 150gr and 180gr velocities are actual measured MV's from a Savage Axis with the 18" factory barrel. For the 170gr Hornady load I just dropped the advertised MV by the same percentage as the others had proven to be down from their advertised MV so it was as close to apples-to-apples as I could get it. I had the zero distance set to 150 yards as this allows for a MPBR of 200 yards on a 6-inch vitals zone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350 Legend - Ballistics.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	6442

As the charts show, the lighter 150gr load offers very similar on-game energy at both 150 and 200 yards as the much heavier 180gr load. The 170gr Hornady load is outshined by both the Winchester loads. The real surprise though is the noticeable increase in both retained velocity and energy of the 200gr FTX .358 caliber bullet compared to the factory loaded 9mm (.355") bullets. You're looking at roughly 200ft-lbs more energy at both 150 and 200 yards with the FTX bullet than any of the factory loads will give you.

So someone remind me again why the geniuses at Ohlin-Winchester designed the .350 Legend to use 9mm bullets and bore diameter?
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    guy at deer camp came down from iowa and had a ruger american of some sort in 350legend. shoots the hornadys through it, says its wicked accurate and comfortable enough to shoot all day long. nice little gun.

Basic Member
    Thats my gripe. They should atleast have used 357 magnum bullets the same way the bushmaster 450 uses .452 heavy pistol bullets

Basic Member
    I'am going with a .357" barrel not the .355"

Quote Originally Posted by coyote wacker View Post
    I'am going with a .357" barrel not the .355"
    I'm sure you probably handload, but I bet you'll find if you shoot factory ammo through it it won't group worth a hill of beans. Watched a YT video where a guy uses a .358 barrel and with factory ammo it patterned like a shotgun with lots of keyholes.

I’ve noticed that alot of guys arr loading .358 bullets in theirs. Be careful if you do.