Thread: Front Target Sight/Barrel Contour Options

Front Target Sight/Barrel Contour Options

Ok guys, as somewhat eluded to in the thread I started last week, I'm planning to do a build project article series this coming spring/summer on a B22 rimfire rifle geared toward competitive shooting with open/aperture sights. I'm working with EGW on the rear aperture mount as we speak (same idea as the mount they made for the Rascal that's depicted in the stickied thread in this board), but I'm still working on the best/easiest solution for mounting a front globe sight.

Option 1: A sporter barreled version of the B22 that comes with iron sights
    The front sight on these models is held on by two screws so it would be quite easy to remove/replace the factory front sight with a screw-on dovetail-style globe mount like Williams makes. Downside is that it's a sporter contour barrel and most folks serious about competitive shooting in this discipline would want a heavy barrel - after all, it's a rimfire and even the heavy barrel models are plenty light enough to shoot off-hand with ease.

Option 2: A heavy barrel version of the B22 that doesn't come with any sights
    Going this route would require some custom gunsmithing as either the muzzle end of the barrel would have to be drilled & tapped to accept a screw-on dovetail-style globe mount, or the muzzle end of the barrel would need to be turned cylindrical to accept a clamp-on style globe mount like most high-power shooters use.

The ultimate goal here is to have budget minded competition/target rifle for growing Junionr Marksmanship kids (4H, Boy Scouts, etc.) that is made up of readily available parts and requires little to no gunsmithing services so they don't have to worry about finding a competent smith or spending additional money on their services.

As I said, EGW is already working on a rail for the B-Series similar to what they did for the Rascal that has a rear section to accept a Willimas FP-GR sight, and like the one for the Rascal it will allow that sight to be used on both LH and RH rifles without bolt handle interference. This also give the mount a dual-purpose role as one could easily switch between the aperture sight and a scope if using QR rings to use the same rifle for multiple formats of competition with different rules/sight requirements.

The front sight is my sticking point right now. The Lyman #17 or Williams Target Globe front sights are the most economical (Lee Shaver's new #17A is another option for under $100), there's just no simple mounting solution for them that doesn't require some gunsmithing. I'm sure with a little coaxing I could get someone to make the conversion mount for the front globe on sporter barrel rifles to replace the stock front sight, but I want a heavy barrel solution as that's what competitive shooters will be wanting.

I've never shot with or used an aperture/globe sight setup so this is new/gray area for me. Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome from those of you who have some experience in this area.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Just curious what you decided. I have a b22 fvss and am in the same situation.

EGW bailed on the rear sight mount rail. Combined with the clear lack of interest here I've abandoned this project idea.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Tapping Heavy Barrel

I purchased for son, not realizing that it was not geared for open / aperture sights- I am having mine tapped and adding two screw 4" piece of dove tail. I will likely either print or have milled a slightly taller piece of rail so it sits more even with the rear sights / rail that come with the gun. At least with the rail, the option for adjustable rears come into play.

My gunsmith charges $40 per hole screwed and tapped, so I'll be $120 in getting the front of the barrel done right. I'm 4 weeks in line to have the work done, so I'll continue to research options- but at this point, this is the option I moved forward with.

Son is 12, shooting in the local rimfire juniors, and want a rifle of our own to take to competition.