Thread: Same idea..but using Titanium & Tungsten Carbide. (Pics)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Same idea..but using Titanium & Tungsten Carbide. (Pics)

So I posted a video of the ease that my bolt lifts. Love me pretty much everyone, I’ve been using a bolt lift kit in my rifle since I built it. The tried & true design that works best..SINGLE bearing ball on flat surface. And it was the old 38spl. case head DIY kit. Have wanted to machine one for sometime but just never got around to it. Until now. Now let me first say I understand that performance between the machined kits & 38spl. case head are pretty much equal! But I figured I would optimize & add a little twist because, well..., I can! Anyone into this stuff know that the harder the surfaces of mating parts, the better. Extremely hard surfaces do not drag as they are not “scratching” one another. (Less drag)

Found some 15/64” Tungsten rod to use because I have the same size end mill.

Also had some 12mm 6AL4V Titanium on hand. I don’t have a lathe, but what little turning I do is via my killing machine.

Turned down a shoulder & to size. Drilled hole in center & pressed in a 5mm Si3N4(Silicone Nitride)bearing ball.
    Nice Fit!

On to the Tungsten & BAS. This is my little “addition” to the design. I have noticed the Si3N4 bb starting to dig a divot into the BAS surface. While hardened tool steel, it’s simply no match for Silicone Nitride hardness! So I cut down a small piece of the Tungsten rod, drilled a flat bottom hole with a square end mill & insert the Tungsten just below the surface.

Finished.

So, same thing....but using Titanium and about the HARDEST surfaces you can use! Im gonna make some of these and give them away. This is the first one, so PM me if you want it.

Ill say they wouldn’t be worth making to sell! WAY to labor intensive! Just cutting down the Tungsten piece took FOREVER! But those who know about me know I don’t do this stuff for money! “For love of the game!”

Awesome Dave. Keep up the good work!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Appreciate the encouragement Robin. Thank you.

NOTE: This is first one is now spoken for, but I’m making more. One thing to note..if someone wants the FULL kit, I will first need their BAS to modify/install the Tungsten rod. Can use just the Titanium/BB piece, but as I said, the point of this was to have two surfaces unable to “scratch” (drag) against one another.

And once more...I’m not, nor will I BE selling these. I don’t do that.

That is super slick and clearly “what right looks like”!

Looks like you shortened the threads on the BAS. Did you account for the lift kit's stacked height?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I did, but actually did that that at the beginning of the build. Using the DIY 38spl case head lift kit. Works with this as well.

Im looking for more Bolt Screws, but they are out of stock everywhere! Might need to grab a 1/20-28 thread Die & start making my own screws. Could make them from Titanium. That’d be kinda cool.