Thread: Apeture/Peep Sights

Apeture/Peep Sights

Just curious if anyone here regularly shoots with apeture/peep sights, are involved in marksmanship programs that do (4H, Scouts, etc), or has interest in doing so but never have for whatever reason.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I coached Junior Olympic Air Rifle, and that's all they could use.

I have a M1, M1A, and M1903A3 with them, but I could use more practice.

The precision possible with them is amazing.

Basic Member
    I use a Skinner peep sight with several different sizes of apertures on my Henry 45 Colt and really enjoy the challenge of it. At 56, it's not as easy as it used to be but I'm still amazed at my groups.

I also shoot my father's old Winchester Model 75 22LR target rifle that is equipped with an adjustable Redfield peep sight. On a good day, it can rival my scoped 22LR rifles at 50 yds.

Up until about eight years ago (so, for 32 years or so) I patrolled my sheep farm/garden/local fields with a single shot .223 Rem and a micrometer Lyman Peep Sight. Woodchucks ceased to exist within 250 yards of the house.

I still have better than 20/20 corrected vision, but I used to be MUCH better before a fence staple incident in the right cornea and the start of cataracts. Wear a scope on my primary .22LR and that .223 now, as well as my deer rifle. Sucks.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thought by posting this in the rimfire board it would be obvious I was referring to their use on rimfire rifles - primarily for competitive shooting or marksmanship training, but I guess not. My bad for not being more specific.

Have a project build in mind to basically build a 'poor man's" Anschutz using a new B22 FV as the base rifle. Purpose of the post was to try and get a gauge for how much interest there might be in such a build.

A lot of the 4H and Scouts groups are starting kids out on Savage Rascals, so my thinking was a more affordable option (compared to an Annie) for when those kids outgrow the pint-sized Savage so Ma/Pa don't have to take out a second mortgage to cover the cost of an Annie and premium set of sights. Have two possible stock options I'm looking at and would likely go with Williams sights (FP-GR rear and Target Globe front) just to keep the total cost down.

Basically something completely different than the all too common "throw it in a chassis and put a scope on it" build that is the norm today for both CF and RF rifles.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Sorry. I just pull up "new posts" and don't connect them to where they were placed. My bad.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

No biggie

Basic Member
    Sounds like a great idea to me, unfortunately I’m not in the targeted group, so my opinion wouldn’t count.
    Biggest issue would be lack of clubs and other organizations promoting youth shooting, at least in my opinion.
    Kids tend to excell very quickly given the opportunity, proper instruction, and good equipment.
    They will lose interest however when their ability can outperform the equipment and competition and theres no place else for them to go.
    The model 75 Win mentioned above, and the 513T Rem were entry level target rifles back in their day.
    But they were in fact solid performers more capable than many of those using them ever achieved.
    The military used 513Ts also for small bore shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Thought by posting this in the rimfire board it would be obvious I was referring to their use on rimfire rifles - primarily for competitive shooting or marksmanship training, but I guess not. My bad for not being more specific.

Have a project build in mind to basically build a 'poor man's" Anschutz using a new B22 FV as the base rifle. Purpose of the post was to try and get a gauge for how much interest there might be in such a build.

A lot of the 4H and Scouts groups are starting kids out on Savage Rascals, so my thinking was a more affordable option (compared to an Annie) for when those kids outgrow the pint-sized Savage so Ma/Pa don't have to take out a second mortgage to cover the cost of an Annie and premium set of sights. Have two possible stock options I'm looking at and would likely go with Williams sights (FP-GR rear and Target Globe front) just to keep the total cost down.

Basically something completely different than the all too common "throw it in a chassis and put a scope on it" build that is the norm today for both CF and RF rifles.
    Would this build be for you, or as a trainer for students?

I started a junior air gun club in the Chicago area in about 2000, and with the help of NRA grants supplied all of the equipment required. We started with CO2 Sporter air rifles and eventually moved to all precharged Sporter and Precision rifles, including some Anschutz and Walter precision rifles.

The reason I ask is if you want to teach kids to shoot an air rifle is much simpler than a rimfire rifle. The range requirements are much less and overall safety is much better.

Even basic competition air rifles come with adequate aperture sights.

Not sure if that's the direction you were going with it.

Basic Member
    In the summer I shoot some local bench rest stuff with aperture sights, 50 yards. We also shoot a three position with peeps at 25 yards, offhand, standing with the offhand on a post and off a bench/bag. I shoot 52 Winchesters for all of the aperture bench stuff. I also have a Tikka T1X that I now have aperture sights on for the three position, those 11-13 pound 52's get heavy offhand.

I agree with jkv45, it this for teaching youngsters to shoot air rifles are a better alternative for many reasons. We shoot air rifles indoors at 10 yards in the winter, all are aperture sights.

Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Would this build be for you, or as a trainer for students?

I started a junior air gun club in the Chicago area in about 2000, and with the help of NRA grants supplied all of the equipment required. We started with CO2 Sporter air rifles and eventually moved to all precharged Sporter and Precision rifles, including some Anschutz and Walter precision rifles.

The reason I ask is if you want to teach kids to shoot an air rifle is much simpler than a rimfire rifle. The range requirements are much less and overall safety is much better.

Even basic competition air rifles come with adequate aperture sights.

Not sure if that's the direction you were going with it.

Was going to be a personal rifle, but also an example or "how to" for those looking for a more cost effective solution to an Anschutz for their youth shooters who have outgrown the entry level Rascal and Cricket sized rifles.

At this point I'm not sure if the project will be moving forward because EGW has decided not to go forward with the rail/sight mount. The whole premise was to be able to put together a competitive and affordable target rimfire rifle with readily available parts that requires no gunsmithing or machining work. If the rear peep sight has to be custom made and thus not be readily available then it undermines the whole premise of the project. Looking for other options, but not finding much at this point.

I've always used the MkII FVT with all the scouts I've worked with, as well as my three boys. Hard to beat, and if you can't get them from CMP, Savage will sell them to NRA Instructors at a discount(at least they used to). I learned on aperture sights shooting in the basement of my high school, and it is still my favorite way to shoot.

Basic Member
    Are you looking for a recomandation of a brand of peep sight ?

Nope, not anymore. This potential "project" has been moved to File 13.