Thread: Looking to build a 300 rum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking to build a 300 rum

Hi I have a model 111 30-06 thinking about making it a 300 rum or getting the 110 long range 338 and swapping its barrel out
    Any thoughts,, ideas or maybe a better way togo about it.

Basic Member
    The bolt face on the 110 in 338 Lapua would need changing also, unless you decided on a 300 Norma instead of a 300 Ultra.
    As for thoughts, mine would be to start with a different action, like a Mark V Weatherby.

Thanks for the reply. Why would u go with the weatherby

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdiff View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Why would u go with the weatherby
    Well first don’t get the idea that I’m trashing Savage actions, because I’m not.
    But when we start talking about one of the largest 30 caliber cartridges, or any other large cartridge, i personally think there are better ones to use.
    Just because we can, doesn’t always mean we should.
    There is a thing that can take place after firing a gun numerous times called (lug setback,) which creates a very dangerous situation called excessive headspace.
    Sometimes it’s best to seek the advise of an experienced professional gunsmith for these type decisions, which i am not.

Banned
    having just built a 338 edge on a savage action, i would suggest a target action in a mag bolt face,
    or just start with a rem 700 mag donor.
    savage sucks when trying to provide a solid bed and or pillars. the target action might work but not sure if available in a basic mag caliber.
    you can read what i did in "inexpensive 2000 yard rifle" in the build section.
    ( 338 edge is just a 338 version of a 300 rum, kinda sorta)

Quote Originally Posted by Kdiff View Post
    Hi I have a model 111 30-06 thinking about making it a 300 rum or getting the 110 long range 338 and swapping its barrel out
    Any thoughts,, ideas or maybe a better way togo about it.

Basic Member
    Since the 338 Edge cartridge has been mentioned, and since it’s parent case is the 300 Ultra Mag, who better to ask your question than the creator of that cartridge?
    He is among many other things an accomplished gunsmith who specializes in large cartridge rifles, some being larger than the Edge for the extreme distances.
    His name is Shawn Carlock, his company name is Defensive Edge, located in Rathdrum Idaho, phone # 208 687 2659.
    I don’t personally know him nor has he ever done any work for me, but he seems to have a very good reputation.
    I would urge you to contact him, and please keep us posted as to his opinions/answers to your questions.

Basic Member
    I've not heard of any issues of lug setback with RUM and WSM size cases in the Savage action. They are not pushing the action beyond its safety margins. Of course you have to be as careful when working up loads as with any other round or action. Now if you were talking about a Lapua or 378 Weatherby size case, then I would warn against it.

Basic Member
    What's your objective with this cartridge? What are you looking to do?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

For long range elk hunting

Savage makes a 110 long range rifle in a 338 lapua.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Kdiff;462742]Savage makes a 110 long range rifle in a 338 lapua.[/QUOTE
    Yes they do, and if you have been reading the posts here lately you will find that the Administrator (site owner) has stated that there have been lug setback issues with some of them.
    As for the 30x378, i used one for about 25 years, so you might say I’m somewhat partial, but fact is there isn’t much difference between it and the 300 Rum other than case dimensions.
    That said i also knew a guy who built a 30x378 on a 98 Mauser action.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but i can tell you if you ever witness one fly apart due to headspace issues as i have, it will for sure change your opinion on things.
    I say go for the Rum if that’s what you want, but spend a little extra on the foundation for it.
    Why have one if you cant push it to it’s max as for performance anyway without being worried about it?
    Might just as well get a 300 Win Mag and be happy, for sure it will do a good job for you.
    Right now I’m pushing 190s at 3400 FPS with the 300 Norma case on a Mark V action.
    You could do that with the Rum also, but I wouldn’t be trying it on a Savage action.