I just received my Model 10 FCP HS Precision .308, and wanted to post a few initial observations for anyone considering one. It was on sale at EuroOptic for $799. I'd been looking around and doing some research for a while, and the FCP HS Precision seemed like the right choice for me. Most were selling for $1000 to $1100 +, so when I found it for $800 I though it was a good time to pull the trigger.

I purchased this realizing that many rip on Savage due to the bolt effort, which seems like a non-issue unless you are competing or in a hurry. I've added the longer "Tactical" bolt handle, which I happen to find on sale at Midway for $25. Not sure why it doesn't come standard on this rifle. It helps. While I had the bolt apart to replace the handle I looked it over and found some burrs/gouges on the firing pin assy and the inside of the cocking sleeve which I smoothed out. With some lube it's getting better - but it's definitely no Tikka.

The Savage is more like a pick-up truck than a sports sedan. I considered the Tikka T3x CTR but didn't care for the stock. The Tikka was $100 more, but really needed a stock upgrade ($400 to $500) to be competitive with the Savage. Most other Tikkas have a "lite" barrel that tended to shift as they heat up.

The overall finish on the metal and stock are OK - I'd say a 7 out of 10. The finish on the barrel is satin with a slight texture. The stock (HS Precision) is flat black with a fair amount of texture. It's not going to win any beauty contests.

I bought this model specifically for the heavy barrel and the target-style stock. Most of my shooting will be prone or off the bench at 100, 300, or 600 yards. I'm more concerned about accuracy and function than aesthetics with this rifle.

I installed a SWFA 12x42 MIL scope on a Leupond 1-piece base with SWFA Tactical rings. The SWFA scopes were initially designed for the military, are made in Japan, and have a good rep with long distance shooters. They have a ton of adjustment and track accurately the entire way . SWFA sells them direct for $300. Basic, but adequate for up to 1000 yards from most accounts. Also have a Matthews Cheek Riser otw.

I'm hoping to get out with it shortly to do a brief break-in and get it zero'd. It should do well with Federal GMM 168s way past where I will be shooting it. Eventually I'll reload, but for now am using mostly PPU ammo until I feel I'm ready for something better.

Overall it's what I was expecting - maybe more considering the price. Hopefully it will live up to its reputation for accuracy.