Thread: New 110 LW Storm / Bolt Head Face Gouging

New 110 LW Storm / Bolt Head Face Gouging

I'm 64 years old and this is my first Savage. I Just purchased this rifle online from Reeds and I discovered that the bolt face has gouging and heavy power residue. The gun looks new except the bolt face. I emailed Savage CS. Nick with Savage responded to my email stating "Your firearm was made 04/21/2022. It shipped 4 days later to a distributor, brand new. All firearms are proof fired and test fired before shipment, and it is not uncommon to find signs of that remaining. The pictures you sent look within normal expectations. Savage Technical Services"

I responded back to Savage with the following:

Nick,
    Please see my attached photos. You replied to my email stating that my new bolt face was “within normal expectations”. Please see the photo with red arrows denoting the gouging/grooves cut into the new bolt face of the gun I purchased new from Reeds. I understand that I should expect powder residue from test firing the gun before shipping it out. However, it should not have gouging, or any other kind of marring in the steel. A brass casing would not cause these marks in steel. My fingernail actually gets caught on the metal burring of these gouges. The 2nd photo is from a brand new 110 from the FFL gun shop that my gun was shipped to. As you can see there is no gouging or any other damage in the face. Please let me know when this manufacturing defect will be corrected under warranty.

I'm waiting for his response. Anyone know if this is an issue with Savage? Thanks

Banned
    Have you even shot it yet? We’ve been through this before. Shoot your Savage for condemning it based on looks. Scratches, machining marks are not damage & not dangerous. Shoot the rifle & get back to us.

Basic Member
    Buckwinkle, continue Your correspondence with Savage until You are satisfied with the product You bought.

NEVER SHOOT A FIREARM YOU PERSONALLY DON’T HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE IN.
    Last edited by GrenGuy; 07-10-2022 at 07:50 AM. Reason: correct spell check

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is not that unusual from most of the mfgs. And, if it does not bother the function of the rifle I doubt Savage will do anything about it. It is another of the reasons why I never buy a firearm unless I can inspect it in person. I have had to pass on several purchases because of things I didn't like during examination. I have also been 'bit' by things that I did not discover until I fired the weapon.

One of the things that has always bothered me from mass producers is the failure to clean a firearm after the test firing. And Savage is not the only one in this regard.

I can overlook some of this on 'budget' firearms like my Axis. But, when you get closer to the $1000 mark I expect better.

Banned
    If it bothers you that much, you could grab a PTG Bolt Head. They are absolutely beautiful, with not a single machine mark.

Thanks for all your replies. I have never had to order a gun online before, but I have looked for this rifle for over a year and finally found it on Reeds web site. I'm not condemning the rifle, I just can’t believe Savage would say this is normal. These are not scratches, they are gouges with burring rising above the face. I own a 1973 M77 and it doesn't have a mark on the face and it has been fired hundreds of times. I like the rifle and hopefully Savage will replace the bolt head. Reeds agrees with me on this issue.

My main reason for joining the forum was to see if anyone else has seen this issue with their Savage rifles. Thanks!

Just subscribed so I could attach a photo of the bolt face. Anyone else seen this before? Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Face.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	8546

Basic Member
    Buckwinkle, You are 100% correct. That is one ugly bolt face. It should never have left Savage. With all the lowly Stevens 200’s I have built off of (cheap), I have never seen a bolt face that ugly. You should not have to fix it Yourself. You should not have to pay for an expensive replacement Yourself. The “Moral” solution is for Savage to make Your purchase right, totally on their dime. You made an honest purchase and Savage is waisting Your shooting time. It’s a time consuming hassle straightening these things out, but sometimes it needs to be endured. I know it does bother You, and it would bother Me and a lot of others on this site. Insist that Savage fix it, if that’s what You want.

Best of Luck To You
    Last edited by GrenGuy; 07-10-2022 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correct spell check

That bolt has problems. You need a new bolt head.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Just sent my rifle back to Savage. They finally agreed to repair it under warranty. Thanks to all for your replies!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwinkle View Post
    Just subscribed so I could attach a photo of the bolt face. Anyone else seen this before? Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Face.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	8546
    Yep, the bolt face on my 110 Storm doesn`t look like that at all! Glad to see that Savage will make good for you. Can`t imagine anyone looking at that picture and saying that it`s " normal " testing. Good customer service with minimum hassle AFTER THE SALE is absolutely critical for long term success of a company.

Thanks Turkeytider!

Banned
    And there ya go. Yeah, companies like Savage aren’t in business to do things for free. Need to be relentless & eventually they will cave. Because it costs more to keep taking your phone calls, emails, etc., than just taking care of the issue.

Always remember: It’s the Squeakiest wheel that gets the oil. Smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    And there ya go. Yeah, companies like Savage aren’t in business to do things for free. Need to be relentless & eventually they will cave. Because it costs more to keep taking your phone calls, emails, etc., than just taking care of the issue.

Always remember: It’s the Squeakiest wheel that gets the oil. Smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in?
    Profound there brother Dave.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.