Thread: Accurate-Mag Bottom Metal Install

Basic Member

Accurate-Mag Bottom Metal Install

Received and installed Accurate-Mag bottom metal this evening. Fit and finish was very nice, with no fitting to my Bell/Carlson M40 needed. Only modification, had to shorten both of the provided action screws by roughly 3/16".....a trip to the grinder and a little thread clean-up, and all was well.

Now for my question.......I inserted the 10-rd mag, and it rattles. I'm new to DBM rifles, but I feel like it rattle way too much.....is that normal? Any way to "snug it up"?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    Received and installed Accurate-Mag bottom metal this evening. Fit and finish was very nice, with no fitting to my Bell/Carlson M40 needed. Only modification, had to shorten both of the provided action screws by roughly 3/16".....a trip to the grinder and a little thread clean-up, and all was well.

Now for my question.......I inserted the 10-rd mag, and it rattles. I'm new to DBM rifles, but I feel like it rattle way too much.....is that normal? Any way to "snug it up"?
    Does it rattle when under load and cycle just fine?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Bolt cycles fine.....I haven't put any cartridges in it. After posting last night, I did a bit more research and found a few placed that suggested an empty mag would rattle, but a filled mag does not (or at least it's minimized). Seems the tolerance are a bit loose to allow for easy extraction of an empty mag.....which makes sense.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    Bolt cycles fine.....I haven't put any cartridges in it. After posting last night, I did a bit more research and found a few placed that suggested an empty mag would rattle, but a filled mag does not (or at least it's minimized). Seems the tolerance are a bit loose to allow for easy extraction of an empty mag.....which makes sense.
    Cool.. if it works , it works:)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Cool.. if it works , it works:)

Looks like adding cartridges reduces the rattle to a level that's acceptable.

Basic Member
    When I installed the Accurate Mag bottom metal I had to do a little grinding to get mine to sit right. Look at the fit between the bottom of the action and the bottom metal itself.... Also snap a mag in and push it until it correctly contacts the action and then see how much you can pull it back out before the latch stops it. If it has too much then the mag will back out when you are firing and you will start sliding over the top of the next cartridge when you try to load it.

Mine doesn't have very much rattle with Magpul magazines.

You'll find most any detachable magazine system designed for military use will have some slop or play in it as they're designed that way. Soldiers don't want to have to fight to get a magazine in or out of the rifle during the heat of battle so that slop allows a little wiggle room so empty mags will drop free easily and fresh mag's can be inserted a little easier w/o binding up.

AR mag's rattle a bit
    M1 mag's rattle a bit
    AK mags rattle a bit

Nature of the beasts...
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain