Thread: 110 Desert Tactical 6.5 CM

110 Desert Tactical 6.5 CM

I have a 110 desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. Great rifle, however, I did NOT like the accustock. I'm certainly not a professional shooter, but I like to buy nice things and take care of them. (the only reason I don't go buy a custom rifle for $5K is because I'm an ok shooter and the extra $$$ spent on the rifle doesn't matter to me to group a smaller group when I shoot just fine, which is like .85 MOA on a good day) I know that's not awesome, but I'm not competing, just having fun.

The problem with the accustock is removing it when you want to break in a rifle (shoot 1 round, clean, shoot again, clean, etc...) the accustock and comb riser must come off every single time to allow the rod to clean the bore. You can't actually see the screw in the stock (hole is frogs ass tight) so you have to screw in tight for buttstock pad to be flush against stock, the screw is going into the polymer stock.....and yes it can strip easy, which I stripped it. I called Savage, they were super cool, sent me another stock out right away. I sold it and put the action in an MDT chassis and love it even more!
    Semper Fidelis

Moved your post to it's own thread since it had nothing to do with the discussion about the .338 Lapua Mag in the other one.

As for the AccuFit stock, you must be running the tallest of the combs as that's the only one I've ever had to pull to get clearance for a cleaning rod and bore guide. Yes, that makes it a bit of a bother to clean the bore properly, but it still beats having a stock with too low of a comb for proper eye-to-scope alignment.

One thing I wish Savage would do is mold threaded inserts into the stock for the buttpad screws. As you noted it can be easy to strip them out being plastic if you aren't careful.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Moved your post to it's own thread since it had nothing to do with the discussion about the .338 Lapua Mag in the other one.

As for the AccuFit stock, you must be running the tallest of the combs as that's the only one I've ever had to pull to get clearance for a cleaning rod and bore guide. Yes, that makes it a bit of a bother to clean the bore properly, but it still beats having a stock with too low of a comb for proper eye-to-scope alignment.

One thing I wish Savage would do is mold threaded inserts into the stock for the buttpad screws. As you noted it can be easy to strip them out being plastic if you aren't careful.
    YES, I was wondering how my "reply" was now it's own thread!! I was using the middle comb riser, and it was too high - had to remove it everytime to get the Dewey rod in to clean
    Semper Fidelis

Do you have a shorter (36" or 40" rod that requires the handle to get up over the stock? I've had no issues using my 46" Tipton rod with anything but the tallest riser. I did however have to shorten up my Possum Hollow bore guide about 1/4-3/8" to clear the 2nd highest comb riser to be able to get it into and out of the action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Do you have a shorter (36" or 40" rod that requires the handle to get up over the stock? I've had no issues using my 46" Tipton rod with anything but the tallest riser. I did however have to shorten up my Possum Hollow bore guide about 1/4-3/8" to clear the 2nd highest comb riser to be able to get it into and out of the action.
    Honestly not sure of the length of the rod, I know it's pretty long, but I know I could not put rod into chamber straight (didnt want to bend it) so I had to remove the riser. It all worked out, I have a MDT chassis now and I love it.
    Semper Fidelis

I just bought a new 110 Predator with the AccuFit stock and have exactly the same problem. When passing a cleaning rod through a bore guide from the breech, I have to bend the rod to clear even the shortest riser. I am currently using this stock without any riser because that's the only way I can feel my patches going through the bore.
    IMHO, whoever designed this, has no experience cleaning precision rifles and I do not understand how this mistake ever made it into production.
    Savage makes a good rifle but with this, they clearly dropped the ball.

So good to see this thread. Helps me not make a mistake in purchase of a new rifle.

Sorry guys, but I am not a big fan of the break in stuff and only use boresnakes. I have a Rem 700 LTR and I can nail 100 yard target and get dime size groupings and I am a crappy shot. I never break in a bbl. I shoot it and clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrifle1 View Post
    Honestly not sure of the length of the rod, I know it's pretty long, but I know I could not put rod into chamber straight (didnt want to bend it) so I had to remove the riser. It all worked out, I have a MDT chassis now and I love it.
    Was this a drop in, or did you have to modify anything to make it fit?
    I’m looking at the Oryx chassis. This is MDT’s budget model.

Basic Member
    Ya I’m like you shoot the crap out of it take it home clean it and do it again day after day and my 6.5CM 100 tactical is a tack driver.