Thread: Patch problems

Patch problems

Hey guys! I’m doing my initial cleaning on a new 110 .308 and I’m having trouble with my patches not pushing through. This is my first rifle and I’m worried about bending the rod. I’m using 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 patches with a Tipton ultra jag. It’s getting stuck almost in the beginning. Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Trim your patches down 1/4" at a time until they go through more easily. Some patches are made of thicker material than others which can also pose a problem. In that case you might try a 7mm jag with the full uncut patch just to see how that is.

Also, make sure you run a wet brush through the bore a couple times before trying to push a patch through. Trying to get a patch through a dry dirty bore is always a challenge.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The patches I just bought today are pretty thin than I’m use to and I was just thinking about trying a 7mm jag. Thanks for the quick reply

Basic Member
    I keep a pair of kindergarten scissors in the zip lock bag holding the patches so I cut as needed depending on barrel diameter.

Yep, those jags are sensitive to cloth thickness and dimensions. I think they have suggested sizes for each jag. I have rounded the patches before also along with trimming sides.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Instead of buying and trimming patches I use old bed sheets. That way I can rip them the width I want and roll up the strips. Then I cut off what I need for cleaning each time.

If really in a bind you can just buy a single flat sheet for cheap.

One thing to do is put patch on jag off the center of patch, the more off center the easier it will go thru bore.

Is it really necessary to even use a jag? Just put your soaked patch thru a cleaning patch loop, or wrap a strip around an older worn brass brush (or smaller caliber brush) and push the cleaning rod from breach to muzzle. If you can access the breach. Same with the dry patch. Has worked for me for nearly 50 years.