Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage entering the “Higher End” of Bench rifles?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I figured the PRS guys would be smart enough to not set the trigger that light and then the bench guys would not have to replace the trigger. :)

So, I wonder if Savage will do some 'work' on the bolt so it cycles fast enough?
    1. This is not a bench gun... you'd be wasting money on a ton of features to run it as one...
    2. I do not run a savage, but for PRS I run an 8-10oz trigger and have ran lighter in the past without issue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That's just it. With PRS having a fixed MSRP price ceiling for their factory class every mainstream manufacturer and custom rifle builder wanting a piece of this action is going to be offering something that hits that price. That's a LOT of competition for a relatively small (in the grand scheme of things) market.

If I were in the market myself I would probably go with the Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock rifle for the same money. No feeding/ejection issues with the ARC Nucleus action, a Rock Creek barrel, Timney trigger, and I would much prefer the more traditional KRG Bravo chassis. Plus I can get one of those in left-hand.
    I'd never willingly send money to PVA unless they had it on the shelf ready to ship. They are known for extremely long and moving wait times.

I had heard they(PVA) had a run of 20TPI barrels that they missed the pitch diameter too. That would effect all of the ARC and Bighorn Actions plus a few others.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

That's just it. With PRS having a fixed MSRP price ceiling for their factory class every mainstream manufacturer and custom rifle builder wanting a piece of this action is going to be offering something that hits that price. That's a LOT of competition for a relatively small (in the grand scheme of things) market.

If I were in the market myself I would probably go with the Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock rifle for the same money. No feeding/ejection issues with the ARC Nucleus action, a Rock Creek barrel, Timney trigger, and I would much prefer the more traditional KRG Bravo chassis. Plus I can get one of those in left-hand.
    Gee whiz! Apparently ya'll missed where I said "if" and "probably". I said that based solely on the components being used, not because I was actually thinking about (or would ever) actually getting one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Charlie-

Benchrest folks won't even consider a 1.5 lb. trigger. The target accutrigger will go down to six oz. After market like the SAV2 will go down lower when replacing the target Accu Trigger. I don't know minimum pull on regular accutrigger replacements triggers, but I seem to have a dim memory it wasn't in ounces.

Sav2 has its own issues with wobble after installation but sure as hell is crisp.
    That was what I meant. Savage should have put the target trigger on it and let the PRS folks set it higher if they want.

I just think this is a difficult spot to get into at that price range with all the competition out there.

Gee whiz! Apparently ya'll missed where I said "if" and "probably". I said that based solely on the components being used, not because I was actually thinking about (or would ever) actually getting one.
    Nope, We just ran with it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Nope, We just ran with it.
    You know what they say about idle minds....
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3.Drums View Post
    Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack, Dave.

No problem far as concerns me compadre. Whatever questions come from a post are all good by me!

Basic Member
    I'm wondering why the AR article shows 300 Norma and 300 PRC as a chambering too but Savage doesn't show those on their website?

Banned
    as was pointed out..these are not competitive bench rifles.
    nice toys
    maybe prs..i do not know , do not play there.
    the big ones maybe in steel matches in longer ranges(2000 plus)
    maybe in the raton magnum steel matches 875 to 2023.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12