Thread: 110 Action and 338.......

Basic Member

110 Action and 338.......

What’s the consensus on this subject. Can’t really find a real answer besides being a single shot. I picked up a 110 7mag that’s 12-14yrs old. One of the better actions to me. Was thinking of using a factory takeoff 338 Savage barrel or maybe a 338 Edge just for something different. Any tips or just avoid it period.

Don't think I'd want to try running a .338 Lapua on an older standard belted magnum action (small shank barrel and older magnum bolt head with thinner lugs). Savage uses a specific Heavy Magnum bolt head for the .338 Lapua, which IIRC also requires a unique front baffle and firing pin assembly to match.

Even properly configured with the correct parts, the .338 Lapua is really too much cartridge for the Savage action design. Several have come through Fred's shop with very low round counts and were already exhibiting obvious lug setback. There's a reason most all of the custom action manufacturers have a special larger action just for the .338 Lapua Mag and similarly sized cartridges.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    That pretty much answers what I was looking for in one post. I’ll just rebarrel it with a 300wm and be done

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James John View Post
    That pretty much answers what I was looking for in one post. I’ll just rebarrel it with a 300wm and be done
    That would be a good choice, and an even better one was asking for advise.
    Kudos to the Administrator for pointing out what obviously amounts to more than an opinion.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That would be a good choice, and an even better one was asking for advise.
    Kudos to the Administrator for pointing out what obviously amounts to more than an opinion.
    i don’t post much on here but I do a lot of reading and was confused. One of the better forums around to ask questions!

If you are looking for the most out of your rifle the 300 PRC has been showing promiss.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If you are looking for the most out of your rifle the 300 PRC has been showing promiss.
    Whats the bolt face size of that case?
    How does it stack up with a 300 Norma?

Basic Member
    That’s a great idea as I was gonna build a 6.5 prc. Now I’ll look for barrel

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Whats the bolt face size of that case?
    How does it stack up with a 300 Norma?
    It is the 375 Ruger case with the .532 rim. 2.580 case length. Probably 95 grains of water +or-

Edit:

I just found this:

300 WM 90.84gr
    300 PRC 94.38gr
    300 NM 103.38gr

Basic Member
    It is the 375 Ruger case with the .532 rim. 2.580 case length. Probably 95 grains of water +or-

Edit:

I just found this:

300 WM 90.84gr
    300 PRC 94.38gr
    300 NM 103.38gr
    what bolt face would I need to run for the prc?

Standard magnum. .532

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=J.Baker;461552]Don't think I'd want to try running a .338 Lapua on an older standard belted magnum action (small shank barrel and older magnum bolt head with thinner lugs). Savage uses a specific Heavy Magnum bolt head for the .338 Lapua, which IIRC also requires a unique front baffle and firing pin assembly to match.

Even properly configured with the correct parts, the .338 Lapua is really too much cartridge for the Savage action design. Several have come through Fred's shop with very low round counts and were already exhibiting obvious lug setback. There's a reason most all of the custom action manufacturers have a special larger action just for the .338 Lapua Mag and similarly sized cartridges.[/QUOTe

Is this including the Lapua actions that came from the factory chambered in 338 Lapua? I've heard of this problem with standard actions but have always been told the Lapua specific factory actions were beefed up and heat treated enough for this not to happen? I own two Savage 338 Lapuas and haven't had any trouble yet, but reading this gives me concern.