Thread: Axis II versus 110/10 series for semi-custom build

Basic Member

Axis II versus 110/10 series for semi-custom build

I decided to post this in the Axis forum versus the 110 figuring to get more Axis shooters to respond. All the Savages I have owned to this point have been 10/110 derivatives, so know nothing about the Axis line other than what has been posted online.

I have decided my next rifle will be a "semi-custom" build, meaning intention is to replace stock and make other smaller upgrades to improve consistency meaning accuracy. Rifles purpose will be 85% hunting and 15% range shooting for practice/fun.

Looking at the new offerings and the price, the Axis II with the Accutrigger seems to be the best "value for the buck" for a starting point by a reasonable margin. I would include the Cabela's 12FV in the mix, but leaning towards a 270win for the next build.

So, questions for the crowd:
    1. Near as I can tell, the major difference from a performance/consistency/accuracy standpoint between the Axis II and the 110 series is the recoil lug - is this correct or have I completely missed something?
    2. For those that own both, is there anything you miss from a usage, cleaning, performance standpoint on the Axis II?
    3. For those that own both, why would you buy a new 110 series instead of an Axis II?
    4. Has anyone purchased an Axis II that wasn't up to the accuracy or quality you expected?

Any and all comments good and bad appreciated.

Basic Member
    Axis do seem to be a bit more variable in the accuracy department. Very few would not be adequate hunting rifles. Once mine had a few rounds shot it settled down to a .5 MOA rifle (.223 heavy barrel walmart special). My other Savage is a 12BVSS so a bit bigger and heavier :) My Axis currently has ads Boyds Pro Varmint stock and Vortex Diamonback scope on it so it has gained a bit in weight as well. And it is still .5MOA even without pilar or glass bedding and the stock recoil lug. If it were anything bigger than .223 I would insist on pilars and glass bedding and probably 'fixing' the recoil lug as well.

Comparing my two is kinda like apples and oranges, but, one big thing is the 12 action is much smoother to me. The Varmint accutrigger is also set much lighter (I do not hunt only paper). IIRC the 12FV has the varmint trigger as well.

The Axis action has a smaller ejection port. Makes getting cases/cartridges in and out of it a bit more difficult. The Axis magazine is a weak point as well, with the plastic latch that sometimes allows the magazine to drop from the rifle. I understand the newer ones might be better and some of the 110 series use the same type now (maybe?). The bolt lift on the Axis is different and makes it less smooth to operate.

FWIW, my Axis came with a scope, one of the inexpensive Bushnell's. It was decent and worked well enough, but, a quality scope is like night and day, especially when it comes to low light clarity. So, I would pass on most of the combo deals out there.

So, that basically means if I were to do a new build I would choose something like the 12FV. 110 action, heavy barrel and no scope.

Basic Member
    I have both, and for all intents and purposes the accuracy out of the box is identical. My Axis in .223 and .243 are well under MOA guns with the right ammo.

1. All Axis actions are one size fits all, so they are long. Feels funny stroking the bolt that far for a .223 so I put a longer baffle on the bolt.
    2. Axis bolt handles *suck* and can easily hit scopes with larger oculars, or ones you are trying to slam down low to the action. I have ground relief areas, and threaded for larger knobs, on every one I own.
    3. Most Axis models will be sporter profile barrels and will heat up much faster than a 12FV.
    4. Axis trigger will have a heavier spring than a varmint model like the 12.
    5. Love the jeweled bolt on the 12, but that is just subjective.
    6. Way less aftermarket stocks for the Axis...pretty much just get a Boyds and be done.
    7. Axis magazine system does feel cheap, but at least it has one.

All in all I would find a cheap 10/110/12 and work from there. They just look and feel smoother to me.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I have both, and for all intents and purposes the accuracy out of the box is identical. My Axis in .223 and .243 are well under MOA guns with the right ammo.

1. All Axis actions are one size fits all, so they are long. Feels funny stroking the bolt that far for a .223 so I put a longer baffle on the bolt.
    2. Axis bolt handles *suck* and can easily hit scopes with larger oculars, or ones you are trying to slam down low to the action. I have ground relief areas, and threaded for larger knobs, on every one I own.
    3. Most Axis models will be sporter profile barrels and will heat up much faster than a 12FV.
    4. Axis trigger will have a heavier spring than a varmint model like the 12.
    5. Love the jeweled bolt on the 12, but that is just subjective.
    6. Way less aftermarket stocks for the Axis...pretty much just get a Boyds and be done.
    7. Axis magazine system does feel cheap, but at least it has one.

All in all I would find a cheap 10/110/12 and work from there. They just look and feel smoother to me.
    You summed it up nicely. I have an Axis II in 243 and it's been nothing but a PIA since I got it. Accuracy issues, Weaver scope going belly up shortly after purchase and even after putting in a spring kit the trigger still sux.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I am working on an Axis II project.

It started as a 30-06, I never fired it like that.

I have it in a clearance priced Gen 1 MDT LSS chassis, I hacksawed the front of the receiver (with a hose clamp guide) and will face it square to the threads soon. The barrel is an X-Caliber 31" light varmint in 284 Winchester.

I made a trigger blade spring with a ball point pen spring and put the standard trigger blade spring in the trigger spring spot. That reduced my trigger pull to 14 oz.

I'm going to do a little bit of bedding and add an extended forend (the LSS is too short for a 31" barrel).

I have some bolt parts from Glades.

I have a Leupold Backcountry one piece mount for a scope. It has 20 MOA slope, I'm going to add more by shimming it while I bed it.

I bought a set of clearance priced Vortex Tactical 6 screw rings for $28.50. I'll ream them and might install helical thread inserts eventually.

Everything is there to make a "semi-custom" Axis. Some choices are made for you because there are not a lot of parts but you can get a nice barrel and the Accu-trigger is pretty easy to make "nice". My forend is going to be custom made by me but isn't 100% necessary if you go for a shorter barrel.

The 110 will give you a few more options but it seems like all of those options are more expensive.

I was looking for a chassis that is longer than an LSS that has a Savage 110 inlet available. I found one at 5x the price I paid.

I'm not sure if any of the Axis trigger options make sense compared to an Accu-trigger. I know that the 110 has options but adding an SSS trigger requires a T&T job which is nice by itself but not always necessary and is far more expensive than the $0.10 ball point pen that gave it's life for my trigger.

A lot of things pushed me toward an Axis II, including the fact that I've wanted to modify one for years.

You should probably look at building a few different rifles, itemize the builds and then see which one look the best for the money. I would do a 110, an Axis II, maybe a Stealth or Target action, then a Tikka, Remington 700, a full custom action and anything else that interests you.

I'm going to look in to the Tikkas. They seem to be about as involved as an Axis II build but probably nicer, I'm not sure about cost though.

Trigger, Stocks.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    thanks for all the info guys. I think i am now leaning back to a 10/110 series for the next build

Quote Originally Posted by txrob5150 View Post
    thanks for all the info guys. I think i am now leaning back to a 10/110 series for the next build
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67