Thread: Sell in parts or whole?

Basic Member

Sell in parts or whole?

Hey all, I could use some advice. Last year I bought an Axis II, left hand in 223. Pretty good for a base level gun, but I was trying to start PRS shooting and needed 10 round mag capacity. Wound up getting a Boyd's AT-One and sending it to CDI precision for the bottom metal that allowed MDT mags. Got a 20 (30?) MOA rail base for the scope, too. If it worked, it would be great. It's the "if it worked" bit that's the issue. Jeff at CDI took the gun back a couple times, it worked for him but for me it would nose dive the rounds into the mags. Not a great event if you're trying to shoot fast. Doing Ssingle shot I hit steel at 600 yards with some 90 grain bullets, though, so she's accurate enough for me.

The issue is that Jeff passed away unexpectedly; he was pretty young for a gunsmith. I don't have the spare change to keep safe queens around, and I can't figure out how to get the Axis to do what I wanted it to. The best option seems to be to sell, but I'm not sure if I should try selling the package, or in parts.

Thoughts?

Tweak the lips of the magazine a little at a time until it feeds correctly. Savages are not known for their fast bolt operation.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Tweak the lips of the magazine a little at a time until it feeds correctly. Savages are not known for their fast bolt operation.
    I've tried that a bit, without any luck. I am well aware of my lack of skills in some areas. :)

Basic Member
    I'd try to make it work. Maybe some different mfg mags? I'd first get a generic mag and bend on it to learn how these things work. What makes it nose dive, what makes it go up, differences with empty and full mags, etc.

If you just aren't in the mood for that then I'd convert it back to stock mags and sell the bottom metal/mags separately. That way you can at least sell a working rifle and someone else might buy the CDI stuff.

Basic Member
    I'm using MDT mags, so they are plastic. Have shaved off bits here and there to get it to fit. Just found out MDT now offers an aluminum chassis for the lefty, may try that.

Basic Member
    I've tried running savage rifles in PRS matches and here is what I've found, both in my rifles and other competitors:
    Savage rifles are plagued with feeding, extracting and ejecting issues in these matches.
    To get around this, I found that I couldn't have any pressure against the magazine.

I decided to go with a custom receiver and chose the Mausingfield. It's an excellent receiver but may be well outside your budget. I would find a custom receiver and go that route, or choose a rilfe purpose built out of the box for the demands of matches. The RPR comes to mind, or look at rifles who uses receivers from American Rifle Company, Defiance, Big Horn, etc.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the wisdom, all. Looks like I didn't do my research and spent poorly. The Axis can hit steel at 600 yards, but it's time to sell her to someone who will use her well.