Thread: Boyd's stock fitting questions for 116 Trophy Hunter XP

Basic Member

Boyd's stock fitting questions for 116 Trophy Hunter XP

Hi Everyone - sorry if this post is way too long but I have been unable to figure this stuff out in spite of a lot of research here.

I could really use some help in trying to figure out Boyd's stocks - interested in a thumbhole stock for a 116 Trophy Hunter XP long action. I might look at Stocky's thumbhole as well, but want to understand what I am shopping for before I get too far into different manufacturers.

Here is what little I know for sure:
    1. I measured my action screws, and the measurement was 5 1/16", or 5.0625". This obviously confirms with known Savage action lengths where all long actions are 5.0625".
    2. My Trophy Hunter XP has the bottom bolt release, Axis style magazine with the "plastic bottom metal (??)" molded in the non-Accufit factory stock. I have attached picture below.

SO, here is what I see from Boyd's:
    Savage 116 XP Trophy Hunter, item number 43B684C061ZZ: “This inlet is for rifles that DO NOT have the metal bottom frame/metal around the magazine opening. You will need detachable box mag, 2 take down screws, wood screw, and trigger guard from the factory stock. We will provide escutcheon and front & rear mag clips.”

Savage 116 Bottom bolt release, item number 43A324C061ZZ: “This stock is designed for the Savage detachable box magazine rifle with bottom bolt release (located on the front of the trigger guard). The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release. The magazine inletting is designed for the removable frame from the factory stock. MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier.”

If I read these two, then it would seem to me that I need the Trophy Hunter version. However, I see two problems with this:
    1. The Trophy Hunter stock screen does not reference the bottom bolt release in any way
    2. The Trophy Hunter stock specifically lists the action screw measurement as 5.06", not 5.0625" - now, I realize that 0.0025" is not much, but since I have never replaced a Savage stock before I am worried about fitment.

Does anyone have experience with replacing stocks on the Trophy Hunter long actions, or have experience figuring out what Boyd's means here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What you have is a first year bastard Trophy Hunter.

The first year the Trophy Hunter's were offered they had a separate plastic "bottom metal" to accept the Axis-style magazines (this is the removeable frame Boyds is referring to at the end of the description for #2). The following year, and every year since Savage molded that separate plastic "bottom metal" right into the stock eliminating the need to make it separately.

Fortunately, that plastic "bottom metal" uses the same inlet as the metal bottom metal for the premium style magazines so you can order any stock for it. So with the examples you gave above, the second one (#2) would be the one you want to order.

You can also bask in the knowledge that if you ever wanted, you could ditch the Axis-style mag and plastic "bottom metal" and replace them with the premium all metal pieces.

As for the variance in screw spacing, that's just the difference between different folks taking the measurement or rounding the measurement to the nearest hundredth.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank you Mr. Baker - its both good and bad to know I have a bastard savage !!! Certainly explains a lot.

So, are you saying that I order the second one, and I can use all of the pieces I have now OR am I forced to upgrade the bottom metal to the actual metal bottom metal?

You can use what you have. The current Model 111 Lightweight Hunter use the same plastic frame and Axis-style magazine as your rifle uses, just it comes from the factory with a wood stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    thank you Sir. Appreciate you filling in the gaps.