Thread: .308 Stealth Evolution trigger locks up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

.308 Stealth Evolution trigger locks up

I have a brand new stealth evolution, heck it still has the tag on it, and has never fired a round. The trigger is set to 1.5#'s straight from the factory, I have done nothing with the gun. When I cycle the bolt and press the trigger, it fires as supposed to. If I rack the bolt slow, it continues to fire without an issue. But if I try to cycle the bolt fast, the trigger cannot be depressed, it locks up until I cycle it again slow. A friend that works on a lot of the guns at an armory in the Marines, seems to think the bolt is trying to "slam" fire and says if I were to take it out and fire it with actual rounds, if I racked it fast, it would fire when I closed the bolt. Has anyone heard of this and if so, what is the fix for it? Should I just send it back to Savage and have them fix it or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help and look forward to any responses.

Basic Member
    Shoot and see what happens. Are you seriously going to send it back without even shooting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Shoot and see what happens. Are you seriously going to send it back without even shooting it?
    if I fast cycle it, and the trigger doesn't work, why wouldn't I? You don't feel there's a safety issue if it goes off when I ride the bolt forward?

Quote Originally Posted by notacos4u View Post
    if I fast cycle it, and the trigger doesn't work, why wouldn't I? You don't feel there's a safety issue if it goes off when I ride the bolt forward?
    Because they will adjust the spring to a higher poundage so the trigger does not slide off the sear when slamming the bolt closed. They will tell you that it was set too light to be hard cycling the bolt. You can adjust it yourself and not have to deal with all the shipping and the gun being gone for weeks.

A 1.5 lb trigger setting is for target shooting, not rapid cycling the bolt. That is what AR's are for with their 4 lb triggers

If you want to bang that bolt open and closed you have to have a heavier trigger. Savage understood this is how people got shot with their Remington 700 triggers set too low by amateur gunsmiths (and their safety being of poor design), so they made the "Accutrigger". It has more to do with safety than it does with accuracy. The accuracy part comes in if you want to adjust it below 2 lbs for target shooting and need a safety when the sear slips off the trigger as you cycle the bolt closed.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Robinhood, thank you very much for your very well articulated response. That makes sense how you explained it.

Glad it helped. Jim the forum boss has made some really good articles available in the FAQ/Centerfeed section. Much of it will help you answer any questions you have as you need to know more about the Savage 110 series of rifles. Good luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Savage understood this is how people got shot with their Remington 700 triggers set too low by amateur gunsmiths (and their safety being of poor design)
    And the person holding the rifle pointed it at a person. Awful stories as a result but could have been avoided with good safe firearm handling practices that would have resulted in the Remi 700 trigger recall without deaths. My comments are not directed at Robinhood. Just a reminder of what the base root of the problem was along with the bad safety design.

No better way to ruin an amazing hobby than to have a tragic incident.

I really like this forum and visit it every day. Great info and great people.

Basic Member
    I was curious so actually looked in the manual that came with my model 12. It is a generic one that covers all the 110 series. In the trigger descriptions it notes that the target accutriggers can be tripped by rapid closing of the bolt. It goes on to show a rubber bumper put on some bolts to cushion them so that this issue does not happen as often.

Basic Member
    This rifle and its trigger should be as good as anything you can buy from a factory. The trigger is probably the standard AccuTrigger with the silver blade in the middle. These will decock with hard closing when set at lower pull weights. You can adjust the pull weight and then test it to see if the pull weight is good, and if it decocks with hard closing. You can decock the trigger by pulling back on the sides of the trigger, without touching the center blade. That's a safety feature. Do not remove the middle blade. If the pull weight doesn't suit you, get a target AccuTrigger from somebody on this site. They have a red blade in the middle, and the pull weight can be set lower without decocking. They are usually available for $100-125. The trigger adjustment is done with the tool that came with the rifle, or you can use a cotter pin from an AR-15, the pin that holds the firing pin. Turn the screw to the right (in farther) to increase the pull weight, turning about 1/2 turn each trial, until it doesn't decock with hard bolt closing. As a disclaimer, I have to mention that you should take the rifle to a competent gunsmith, and not believe anything you read on the internet, including this post's information.

Basic Member
    Am I mistaken or does the accutrigger prevent slam fires?