Thread: Hands On Before You Purchase

Basic Member

Hands On Before You Purchase

I'm relatively new to this . I have a 12 FV in .223 and have been very pleased so far ( will be more satisfied when I replace the ejector ). The one thing I would like to consider in the future is replacing the stock. After reading post here , I've looked at McMillan, Stockade, SSS, Boyd's, EABCO, etc . The one thing I've found in all this searching is that all the choices seem to be sort of like buying a pig in a poke - especially for someone like me who has little experience . Are there any options where I could actually look at a quality replacement stock , talk with someone about it , and maybe put hands on ? The internet is a wonderful thing but I guess I'm too old school. Edit : I understand that with all the possible options there would be no way to walk in and find one to fit my 12 FV but it would be nice to at least see and hold an example.
    Thanks

What part of North Alabama are you in? If you get down to the CMP's Talladega range on F-class match days you'll see a number of Savages on the line, in many different chassis and stocks. That would likely be your best bet for something not too far away. I haven't been there in a couple of months but I'll normally bring a friend shooting my 6BR in a Boyd's Pro-Varmint/Tacticool, and sometimes a BA Tactical (McRees chassis) depending on who all is going. I find the Pro Varmint very comfortable to shoot prone or off of a bench, and the rifle shoots insanely accurate after pillar and glass bedding it.

I've been shooting more at Central Alabama Gun Club in Shorter lately, but that's probably a bit too far for you. They run a pretty decent, informal 300yd F-class match about every other month. They shoot relays every hour from 9-12, but there are a couple of McMillans on the line as well as a couple other manufacturers.

I would say that a match day somewhere close to you would be the best shot at seeing a variety in person, as well as many competitors are much more knowledgeable than your average bubba blasting at the public/WMA range.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Thank you for helping me out with this . I live close to Huntsville so the Talladega range would be better for me . I will check with them but also with the new range at Hobbs Island which (according to their web site) only opened last week . This makes a great deal of sense but I just didn't think folks would appreciate a novice troubling them . Thanks again .

I have been competition shooting my entire adult life, and I fully understand the hesitancy for a relative novice to want to ask any questions. I will say that over 75% of competition Shooters are more than happy to answer any questions that you might have. There are so many great folks out there that are more than willing to help out in any way that they can. I'm around Montgomery, so not sure what the scene is further up towards where you are, but Oak Ridge Tennessee his another huge venue for competition. If nothing else, you could always email a match director just saying that you wanted to come out and spectate. I've never met a match director that wouldn't bend over backwards for someone new. You could learn a lot by just watching and talking with some of the folks, even if you never planned on competing yourself. While some of the gear might be overkill for your purposes, you would get to see exactly what works, and how it works by watching some more experienced folks and their equipment.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    I have bookmarked the sites for both Talladega and Oak Ridge and will contact both venues . Again , thank you . It is refreshing to be reminded that there are still folks out there kind enough to help .

Always preferable to handle first . . . but not often possible. I had a custom shotgun built and the gunsmith had me send 7 different measurements for the stock. When I have to get off a shot at a flushing grouse it is over in two seconds. Having a proper fit makes the difference.

Rifles generally give you a little more time to adjust yourself to the stock. But whatever you can build in ahead of time is an advantage.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    But whatever you can build in ahead of time is an advantage.
    I agree . Need all the advantages I can get .

Basic Member
    I put a model 12FV in 223 into a EABCO thumbhole stock, it's already pillared so just drop in and go shoot. Mind the action torque, the Savages respond well to tuning the rear action screw torque. It's a little heavy to be carrying it around in the field, but a fine range setup. Mine will shoot TINY groups.

BTW: I removed all the ejectors on my bench rifles. Got tired of chasing my carefully prepared brass.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Thank you for helping me with this . I attempted to reply a few minutes ago but it doesn't seem that my reply got posted . So , I'll try again and hope that it's not totally redundant . I have looked at the EABCO thumbhole stock and , other than a possible trigger guard problem , it looks like a "plug and play" formy 12FV . I've also looked at the EABCO tactical and Stocky's LRT but have possible questions about the magazine with these . I believe I will follow the suggestion of 6mm BR Shooter and go to a competition so I can get sort of a hands on look . Regardless of which stock I end up with , if you have time , would you mind going into a little more detail about tuning the rear action screw ? I have read that lots of folks remove the ejectors to protect their brass . This makes sense but , even with the weight , I may want to use the FV in the field and think the ejector might be handy. Thanks again.