Thread: Savage rifle question

Savage rifle question

Hello i have a question about a savage rifle i bought last week for basically nothing, It's a wood stock Savage model 111 7mm rem mag, no accu trigger, looks like it previously had iron sights on it that were removed i see the screw holes. I'm having issues mounting like 2-3 different scopes on the rifle with just scope rings, the rings are spaced to far apart over the action and i cant mount the scope properly so i need to find a 1 piece rail scope base to mount to but im not 100% sure what i should be buying because i can't find any information on the rifle. I'm not sure how old the rifle is, its not in bad shape its been shot maybe a handful of times and then put up, i assume its a long action because my other savage rifles (short actions) dont have this issue with the scope rings being to far apart for the scopes i have. Any help would be appreciated, i want to get it set up for my dad for rifle season that starts in a week

im just gonna try this cheap weaver scope base, if it doesnt work it was only 20$ says it works on almost every savage model including 111

Basic Member
    I use a weaver base on my Axis for the same reason. It has worked well for me.

Basic Member
    There are differences in action shape over the years. You probably have a flat back action, and it'll take a different rail. Can you post a pic, or better yet, call Savage Customer Service and give them the serial number. They can tell you what model it was when it left the factory and date of manufacture, UNLESS it's too old.

In that case go here: https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...nterfire-faq-s

Loads of Savage savvy here, don't be afraid to ask!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    The two big things to look for are long or short action/ flat or round back. A rail for a flat back action may be listed as per accutrigger. The weaver base is cheaper and sits lower on the action but makes it a little harder to load blind mags. EGW rail cost more and is taller giving you more room for those blind mags but may require a riser on the stock for proper cheek wield.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    The two big things to look for are long or short action/ flat or round back. A rail for a flat back action may be listed as per accutrigger. The weaver base is cheaper and sits lower on the action but makes it a little harder to load blind mags. EGW rail cost more and is taller giving you more room for those blind mags but may require a riser on the stock for proper cheek wield.
    Yea its a long action and the the back mounting area is flat

Have two long action flat back receivers. Blind magazine, stagger feed. I use and recommend EGW on piece rails. They will take either picatinny or weaver style rings. Weaver is ok bu not as good as EGW. Only drawback to the EGW is they leave an overhang on the forward end and you have to remove the rail when you want to change barrels....I just trimmed that part off.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Have two long action flat back receivers. Blind magazine, stagger feed. I use and recommend EGW on piece rails. They will take either picatinny or weaver style rings. Weaver is ok bu not as good as EGW. Only drawback to the EGW is they leave an overhang on the forward end and you have to remove the rail when you want to change barrels....I just trimmed that part off.
    Hi Bill,
    I also agree with the egw on the flatbacks. I have used both weaver & egw. The egw has more adjustability with positions and also made of steel.
    However, not to hijack the post, do you use an internal action wrench?, a milled out wheeler stylewrench? or a barrel vise?
    I always remove the rail for my bench mounted Wheeler wrench. Certainly would be faster with your method. I often thought of milling a section out of the wheeler to clear the scope base.
    Randy