Thread: Non-pinned recoil lug installation question

Basic Member

Non-pinned recoil lug installation question

A while back I moved my 10T-SR from its Accustock into a chassis. During the process, I changed the recoil lug to a pinned style. Now I want to put it back into the original Accustock which requires using the factory non-pinned Accustock lug.

I observed that the non-pinned lug rotates when tightening the barrel nut. Two questions:

1. Is there a recommended method for properly clocking the non-pinned lug when installing the barrel?
    2. How far off top dead center can the lug be rotated before it starts to affect performance?

Maybe it's as simple as using an index mark and good old fashioned trial and error but figured I would ask. I have also considered grinding a pinned lug to match the dimensions of the Accustock lug but wanted to try to reuse the original one first.

Paint the action side with a black magic marker. Use your dial calipers to measure the width, lock you calipers at half the width. Make a sweep from each side near the bore of the lug. Place the mark in the center of the hole.( this is wear an action wrench comes in handy.) use a rubber hammer if you have to in order to keep it centered. I have found if /i hone the face of the nut and the action, the lug stays put. good luck.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    NSS sells an action vice that has a cutout to keep the recoil lug from rotating during barrel installation.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/w...ION-WRENCH.jpg
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Recoil lug jig:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...388-19185.aspx

Several varieties of these, may require some light filing/machining for Savage receivers, designed for different style/thickness lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    NSS sells an action vice that has a cutout to keep the recoil lug from rotating during barrel installation.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/w...ION-WRENCH.jpg
    True, but looking at the pic it looks like it's setup for a standard lug, not an AccuStock lug which is shaped more like a Rem 700 lug.

Easiest solution would just be to drill & tap your AccuStock lug and use a small Fillister or Socket Cap head. Might have to turn the head down a little to get it to fit in the slot of your action, but that's easy enough to do by chucking the screw in your drill and spinning it while holding the head to a grinder wheel or belt sander. Just go slow and take it down a little at a time until it fits with just a little play.

You can also just drill it and press in an appropriate sized piece of drill rod to act as the pin.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    True, but looking at the pic it looks like it's setup for a standard lug, not an AccuStock lug which is shaped more like a Rem 700 lug.

Easiest solution would just be to drill & tap your AccuStock lug and use a small Fillister or Socket Cap head. Might have to turn the head down a little to get it to fit in the slot of your action, but that's easy enough to do by chucking the screw in your drill and spinning it while holding the head to a grinder wheel or belt sander. Just go slow and take it down a little at a time until it fits with just a little play.

You can also just drill it and press in an appropriate sized piece of drill rod to act as the pin.
    ^^^this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

The trick is getting it right on the money.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lug stop.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	6389
    I use this setup for unpinned Remingtons. The Savage shown (for illustration) is actually pinned with tapped screw as J. Baker mentioned.
    The screw is a 1/4-20 set screw tapped into the Wheeler action wrench. The washers/shim must be sized to act as a stop so the lug doesn't turn when the barrel is torqued. Worked great on the last 2 Rems.
    Note my action wrench is bolted to bench from the bottom.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lug stop.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	6389
    I use this setup for unpinned Remingtons. The Savage shown (for illustration) is actually pinned with tapped screw as J. Baker mentioned.
    The screw is a 1/4-20 set screw tapped into the Wheeler action wrench. The washers/shim must be sized to act as a stop so the lug doesn't turn when the barrel is torqued. Worked great on the last 2 Rems.
    Note my action wrench is bolted to bench from the bottom.
    Randy
    Lots of good ideas. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I have the same action wrench in a newer version. Based on your concept of shimming the lug, I think I can probably use a wood shim, a ground hex nut, or something else with proper thickness to shim between the right side of the lug and the inside surface of the lug recess. The Accustock lug is square so the sides will be parallel with the sides of the lug recess.

The newer version of the Northland wrench is drilled and tapped for attaching a Remington lug fixture that they sell. If I ever do a Remington build, I will probably use it.