Thread: Ticks on game animals

vermonter

Ticks on game animals

Up until about 5 years ago I never noticed ticks on the deer I harvested here in North Eastern VT ( I believe they are Wood Ticks). Now it seems like I see more and more of them each year. This years bow killed deer had lots of them. I was just wondering if ticks are common in your neck of the woods and do you do anything special to deal with them? Thanks

Re: Ticks on game animals

We get ticks here in Nevada whenever we are hunting near where they range sheep.

Once an animal is down they tend to leave pretty quick.

We don't do anything special about them, just check ourselves at bedtime.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Trebono

Real common here in Ga, especially during early bow season when it's still hot. Never caused a problem....

possum1

just check ourselves at bedtime I hunt game animal's all the time, my wife check's me every night ::)

mtnkid85

We get them here in the spring, then they die out during the heat/dryness of summer. And any hard frost will surely get them later on.

I cant say Ive ever seen any on game Ive taken during the fall, Ive heard spring turkeys are full of nasty little critters though. Ill look closer on my next animal.

Don W

I hunt mainly in West Virginia. There are plenty of ticks on the deer we shoot.

Basic Member

I was watching a tecomate series a while back when David Morris stated that by providing the deer a healthy selection of vegetation and forage will eliminate insects such as ticks on the deer. I know this may not be an option for most because everyone doesn't have thousands of acres to themselves to manage. However is this true?

Scott594

I had one from PA about 10 years ago, that practically rained ticks once I hung it. I have a frame on my deck, and there was a 18" ring of engorged ticks under it the morning after I hung it. I'm guessing the morning sun got them moving again after the cold ride in the back of the truck (glad that's where it was). Sprayed them and broomed off the hide before skinning, they all seemed be gone. I might note that boy was tad more gamey than any other I've eaten, maybe it was the ticks, but I expect it was a long, hard existence that generated the flavor. Makes me appreciate our corn fed ones here in Central NY (never found a tick on them).

Ct. deer are always loaded with them and it doesn't matter what part of the state you are in.After killing one I always hang for a few days and when I skin them for butchering they are still crawling around.
    If you hunt around here you need to check yourself all the time and if you own a dog or cat that goes outside you need to check them a couple of times a day also.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

hkpro007

Be aware aboute ticks!
    Here in Europe they cause a variety of Lyme disease and tick borne encepahlitis.
    From year to it seems to, that we got more and more ticks.
    What you can do: Prepare your cloth with Permethrin. Most of the insect repellents are rather effective or helpless.
    If you got a tick, take surgical forceps and tear it out very slowly. It can take up to one minute.
    Don`t rotate it. Ticks have no thread. After that observe the puncture the next days. If it turns into red colour at a size of a coin or bigger, got to your doctor. Every half a year I'll go my doctor for a blood analysis, to check if there some hints for a Lyme disease.
    A friend of mine has the Lyme disease in the third stage with chronic rheumatism.
    Be always careful folks

borg

Quote Originally Posted by hkpro007
    Don`t rotate it. Ticks have no thread.
    :D