Thread: Model 64 TR-SR 200 yard competition shootout

Model 64 TR-SR 200 yard competition shootout

Hi gang. I picked up a 64 tr sr as a primary plinking rifle. I just joined my local gun club, and they are having a 200 yard varmint silhouette competition. It's only 5 bucks so I thought "why not try "
    I have not been able to find many people with this particular rifle.
    Any advice would help. It's a seated bench rest shoot all 25 targets @ 200 yards.

Thank you in advance

A 22LR at 200 yards requires a LOT of elevation adjustment in your scope. Something like 25 minutes from a 50 yards zero with standard velocity ammo if memory serves me correctly. I know on my Browning T-Bolt Match/Target rifle that's topped with a Vortex Diamondback 6-20x44mm Mil-Dot scope, I don't have enough elevation adjustment (2 minutes shy IIRC). As a result if I want to shoot 200 yards with it dial in 20 minutes and then hold-over using one of the dots for the difference. What I really need is a 20 MOA base, but I figure if I want/need to shoot something at 200 yards I have several centerfire rifles in .223 Rem. that would be better suited for that job.

Soo...if you want to shoot 200 yards with a 22LR you're going to want a 20 MOA scope base and a good scope that offers at least 60 MOA of total elevation adjustment. Can't find anyone who offers 20 MOA rail for the Model 64 so you're going to have to focus on the scope.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thank you for the advice. I was able to use a Pistol scope I had lying around. It had plenty of elevation adjustment. It has traditional style crosshairs, but it worked just fine. I was able to hit the 12" steel plate @200 yards 8or9 times out of 10. The only ammunition I have right now is bulk Remington golden bullet packs.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    A 22LR at 200 yards requires a LOT of elevation adjustment in your scope. Something like 25 minutes from a 50 yards zero with standard velocity ammo if memory serves me correctly. I know on my Browning T-Bolt Match/Target rifle that's topped with a Vortex Diamondback 6-20x44mm Mil-Dot scope, I don't have enough elevation adjustment (2 minutes shy IIRC). As a result if I want to shoot 200 yards with it dial in 20 minutes and then hold-over using one of the dots for the difference. What I really need is a 20 MOA base, but I figure if I want/need to shoot something at 200 yards I have several centerfire rifles in .223 Rem. that would be better suited for that job.

Soo...if you want to shoot 200 yards with a 22LR you're going to want a 20 MOA scope base and a good scope that offers at least 60 MOA of total elevation adjustment. Can't find anyone who offers 20 MOA rail for the Model 64 so you're going to have to focus on the scope.
    I just spiffed up the rifle all shiny like. How do I post a picture?

I guess if you're content with just "hitting" a 12" plate at 200 then most any old scope will do. The way you talked I was thinking it was going to be a match that required a little more precision.

As for posting photo's, see this tutorial: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-(All-Members)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The competition targets are 1/2 size varmints steel. Squirrel etc.