Thread: New Savage 110 Engage owner

New Savage 110 Engage owner

I am struggling to decide if I really need a bore guide. This is my first bolt action and I am not sure what the difference is between a Long action or a short action bolt.

Ok...I searched around the forum and found the article on action lengths. Unfortunately I'm not at home and I'll have to measure later.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Ok...I searched around the forum and found the article on action lengths. Unfortunately I'm not at home and I'll have to measure later.
    Most every bore guide I have ever seen is made long enough to work in both long and shot actions. Many have an adjustable stop that you can slide forward and back on the main tube as needed to get it to drop into the bolt handle slot and then tighten up the tensioning nut on it to keep it there.

See this review for an example: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ts-The-Stopper
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I am struggling to decide if I really need a bore guide. This is my first bolt action and I am not sure what the difference is between a Long action or a short action bolt.
    You don't need a bore guide but if you decide to use one, I think you will be happy with that decision. Besides the primary purpose of protecting the entrance of the bore from possible rod damage, it will also make cleaning the bore easier by quickly guiding the rod into the bore and preventing dirty solvent from being pulled back into the action.

Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    You don't need a bore guide but if you decide to use one, I think you will be happy with that decision. Besides the primary purpose of protecting the entrance of the bore from possible rod damage, it will also make cleaning the bore easier by quickly guiding the rod into the bore and preventing dirty solvent from being pulled back into the action.
    True, you don't have to have one, but they are highly recommended and they're cheap insurance to prevent you from possibly damaging the chamber/throat area of your barrel when cleaning. Also, they make life a LOT easier when properly cleaning from the breech end of the barrel. $20-30 for a good universal guide one is a lot cheaper than having to possibly replace a barrel or two due to self-inflicted damage.

Some will recommend a bore-snake, and I have several in different calibers for my lever guns and AR's, but they're basically for quick field cleanings and not thorough cleanings. They are great to pack when you go on a multi-day hunt or to put in your range bag to do a quick clean at the range, but at the end of the range day or hunting trip you need to do a proper cleaning with a rod and jags/brushes to get the built-up fouling out. Anyone who thinks that pulling the little 3" length of bristly wire on a bore-snake through their barrel once or twice is going to remove all the carbon and copper fouling from their bore is just fooling themselves.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage

Have used Sinclair o-ring bore guides for decades, now get Possum Hollow who I think made them for Sinclair (they look exactly the same).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Have used Sinclair o-ring bore guides for decades, now get Possum Hollow who I think made them for Sinclair (they look exactly the same).
    Eric Sinclair owns Possum Hollow and is the son of Fred Sinclair who started Sinclair Intl.

I was going to buy a #5 possum hollow but it appears they aren’t making them anymore?

Team Savage

Midway says "out of stock backorder ok", Graf's has them in stock, solvent ports are nice so might consider that too - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/12228

i went with the tipton just for the learning experience and the price point. Ill figure out what qualities of a guide are important and maybe step up later.

Banned
    I’ve never used them. But then I’m not a competition shooter in which THOUSANDTHS of an inch make the difference! My shooting is both hobby and practice for defense. I’m also incredible careful, not on a clock when I clean and I have chosen cleaning equipment with no real ability to damage the throat lands.

That said, I have no problem with others using them, and would never tell someone NOT TO! Simply my preference not to.