Thread: What Gives?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What Gives?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been a little puzzled by how things have been in the gun world the last year or two. It's dead slow here on this forum, and it's equally slow on most other forums I frequent (Ohio Sportsman, Ohio Outdoors, Rimfire Central, Benchrest Central, etc.). Those forums that do still seem to have decent traffic are still way down from what they were seeing just a year or two ago.

Talking to local dealers and vendors at gunshows I'm hearing the same thing. Nothing's moving, nobody's buying, and what little is selling is selling for peanuts. We've seen the same here in our classifieds with people selling 110 actions for as little as $160. Even the PRS/NPR stuff that's been super hot in recent years seems to have slowed down quite a bit in the last 6-8 months, and the massive CCW craze seems to have calmed and settled in to a normal pattern.

Guys I've known that have been in the business for 4-5 decades say they've never seen anything like this before. Ask around what's hot or trending right now and everyone just shrugs and throws their hands in the air unknowingly. I know I've been immersed in this industry for almost 20 years now and I've never seen anything quite like it.

Has there just been a huge market shift away from rifles? Did the industry just soo overly saturate the market with cheaply made guns at huge discounts the past few years in an attempt to keep sales numbers up after the election that it's stagnated the market?

Seriously, anyone got a clue what the heck the deal is?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Did the industry just so overly saturate the market with cheaply made guns at huge discounts the past few years in an attempt to keep sales numbers up after the election that it's stagnated the market?
    Probably this.
    The market seems kinda flooded at the moment, plus the gun owners feeling "safe" with the current president. If the political winds change next year and the "other side" takes control, there will be a complete panic and nothing will stay on the shelves and prices will skyrocket.
    But right now I would blame complacency.
    Also, with the prices on modern sporting rifles these days, pretty much anyone who wanted one, has one by now, and most have multiple. So now there is a large supply and low demand.

It must be regional as it does not seem to have hit around my parts. Prices are still holding steady and/or higher than normal. Gunshows seem packed, always a line to get in, prices there are still crazy and sometimes make you laugh. Not even seeing any low priced bolt actions either on the local armslist. Gunbroker does not seem as affected either (at least peoples asking prices) While they might not be selling, they seem unwilling to reduce their prices to move them.

Saturated the market. I have only been buying heavily discounted guns lately, no discount no buy. Ive got too many to shoot anymore, and guns I haven't shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    It must be regional as it does not seem to have hit around my parts. Prices are still holding steady and/or higher than normal. Gunshows seem packed, always a line to get in, prices there are still crazy and sometimes make you laugh. Not even seeing any low priced bolt actions either on the local armslist. Gunbroker does not seem as affected either (at least peoples asking prices) While they might not be selling, they seem unwilling to reduce their prices to move them.
    Pricing really depends on what you're looking at. If you're looking at older "classic" well built guns then yes, the prices are high (and rightfully so given all the plastic that's being peddled today). If you're looking at common newer stuff most of it can be had at bargain basement prices. Think a lot of that has to do with consumers being tired of all the cheap plastic and instead looking for higher quality either in higher grade newer guns or well crafted older classics.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Hunting land and opportunities are down also. I hear public land is so overrun with hunters that if you strike your antlers together you will get shot.

To compete in a match, everything is expensive. Ammo, scopes etc... Even if you are shooting a factory class somebody goes all out and then your not even competing unless you spend big money there too.

I know a guy from Texas who moved to a suburb of Chicago a while back. He unloaded his weapons from the moving van and before he returned to the van for another load there were 4 squad cars with swat on the way. For many it is not worth the hassle.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If you think about it, during the panic buying craze, most folks who wanted to get their guns, got what they wanted and then some. They got their ammo, accessories, etc when they thought the government was going to take them. Not only the market flooded with guns of different types, but the buyers don't really have the appetite either.

It's not just AR rifles that been flooded. Look at the bolt action market: Used to, if you wanted to build a rifle you chose a Savage, Remington, or went with the few manufacturers of custom receivers such as Stiller, Surgeon, Bat, and maybe one or two more. Now there's close to 20 that you can find off a quick google search.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    The staff at a nearby long established gun shop told me recently that business is not good. I noticed last few visits several tables full of used rifles that have been heavily discounted from their original asking price and not selling. Several brand new Henry Long Ranger and Tikka T3X rifles also not moving and heavily discounted.

I got into centerfire rifle shooting two years ago and a lot has changed just since then. Prices continue to drop and I think the market is just oversold with low cost rifles. The Precision shooting buying craze may also be cooling off as shooters are now flush with equipment.

Lastly, the economy is weighing on people's minds, it's all you hear in the news. People may be less inclined to part with their money. I work in manufacturing and my bosses are concerned. Even the recent gun control rhetoric, some of it the most strident I have heard since 1994, is not compelling shooters to buy guns.

I know I basically take motorcycle and fishing season off and come back late October or early November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk