Thread: Savage Mag. bolt head and the 6.5 PRC case ??

Savage Mag. bolt head and the 6.5 PRC case ??

OK, I would like ONLY responses from people with ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE on this question.
    A 7 Rem Mag. case has a head Dia. of .532", A 6.5 PRC case has a case Dia. of .532" .
    The lawyers at Savage won't comment, and Hornady doesn't know .
    So, does anyone ACTUALLY know if a Savage Mag. bolt head will work with the 6.5 PRC case ??

Thank you

May have to re think this project

It will work. With the caveat of being for a long action only. You will need to modify it to work in a short action. If you take a dial caliper to the Savage bolt head counter bore it will be at least .010 larger than the rim of the case, possibly more. Most bolthead faces are described as the diameter of the rim dimension and do not include clearance.

If you were talking about the short action WSM Bolt Head, it is an 1/8 longer at the lugs, this requires a special firing pin for the Short Action Magnum actions. Outside of buying the WSM bolt head and the correct firing pin assembly or buying a complete short action magnum bolt, the best option is to cut an 1/8 off of the LA magnum bolt and reset the firing pin stop to get the correct firing pin protrusion.

You can also order a PT&G that will be a drop in fit for a short action magnum with no modifications.

Your action size will determine the path you are going.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It is an early long action that had a wimpy 7 Rem Mag. bbl. it has an F pre fix. Need to do more research on the 6.5 PRC and bbl. life.

For any PRC cartridge build you want a large shank action due to the diameter of the case body.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    For any PRC cartridge build you want a large shank action due to the diameter of the case body.
    This is a common notion. One thing that puzzles me is that Remington actions are 1 1/16 same as savage and tikka a films are only 1” at the shank. So I dont know why savage built these so large.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    This is a common notion. One thing that puzzles me is that Remington actions are 1 1/16 same as savage and tikka a films are only 1” at the shank. So I dont know why savage built these so large.
    And the strangest part of that is the thread pitch of a Savage means a shallower thread depth making it have the greater wall thickness of the bunch.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The action started life as a 7 Rem Mag. . And even with my inability to correctly run "barrel life" programs I'm beginning to think I need to re think this F class project. Plus today is a visit to the shoulder Orthopedic Dr.

Basic Member

Dial # Lawl that’s Awl.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Dial # Lawl that’s Awl.
    can't read my original post ?? AND have nothing to offer

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Dial # Lawl that’s Awl.
    Is this a troll account? Mods, can y'all look into this account, please?

Basic Member
    What i was attempting to say, albeit with a bit of humor, is that we have all kinds of people who for some reason consider themselves qualified to do things they really shouldn’t be doing.
    And companies like Savage for example or even sites like this, can be held liable for other peoples stupidity when represented by law firms.
    # Lawl that’s Awl, just happens to be the worlds largest law firm representing clients looking for a big payday.
    Got it now Einstein?

Besides Bbl. life / needing a Lg. shank action ?? I'll look into pre fits for Rem.700's ?? OR, a little 6 {6XC or 6x47L} or just "survey"[ a USMC term] and sell the action,ect.