Thread: How To Tag Threads

How To Tag Threads

It's common knowledge that the search feature built into vBulletin leaves a lot to be desired. However there's an easy fix that just requires a little effort on your part when creating new threads. This fix is the ability to Tag your posts with a keyword or two that can then be used as specific search terms with the Advanced Search option. Additionally, I can link similar tags to all reference to one common tag (i.e. 243, 243 win, 243 winchester would all be linked to the same .243 Winchester tag).

How To Accurately Tag:

For tagging to work properly the tags must be very specific to the subject matter of the post. The boarder the tag, the wider range of discussions can apply to and the less accurate the search results will be. Sometimes that's good, other times not so much. For that reason I mostly want to focus our tagging efforts on a few key things:

Firearm Model - Examples would be Mark II, A22, B17, 12 LRPV, 110 BA, Stevens 555, etc. Some series of models are more extensive than others, and some specific models are far more popular than others, so you can choose to do a generic model (i.e. A22) or a more detailed model (A22 FV-SR). As long as the search term has "A22" in it it should pull up anything with that in it. Just remember that some model descriptors like FV-SR are used across multiple different lines so don't just tag that aspect of it.

Caliber/Cartridge - If the post pertains to a specific cartridge (i.e. best long range .223 Rem ammo) please tag the cartridge by name.

Problems/Issues - Common and specific problems or issues can be tagged (i.e. ignition issue, feeding issue, ejection issue, bedding issue)

Specific Parts/Components - If the post pertains to a specific part (i.e. bolt head) or component (i.e. type of powder or specific bullet), you make it a tag as well. Again, just be specific (i.e. IMR-4350 rather than just 4350).

I am also combining some of the less specific but very common tags that already exist to pool related content together. One example is the multitude of tags regarding barrels (barrel length, barrel contour, barrel twist, etc), which are all going to just fall under one generic "Barrel" tag. The same is being done with general stock questions that aren't specific to an aftermarket brand.

Over time I will regularly review the list of Tags and combine those that are variations of the same thing so that searching any of those tags will pull up all relevant results tagged with any one of those different variations. This will keep the total number of tags in check and ensure it's easier to find as much content as possible on the topics being searched.

What Not To Tag:

In short, don't tag silly stuff or non-specific things. Again, this is only going to be as useful and beneficial of a tool as we make it, and the more specific and on-topic we keep the tags the better it will work for everyone. Things like locations or city names, emotion (i.e. happy, frustrated), etc. shouldn't be tagged.

My best advice here is that upon reading any given post you should be able to identify what specifically that post is discussing or asking about with one or two key descriptive words. Those one or two words are what should be used as tags. If you read through your post and can't identify one or two key things to tag, maybe you need to revise your post and make it more specific and on point.

How to Tag a new Thread You are Creating:

Everyone who is registered and can post has the ability to Tag their posts with three Tags. Those who are paid members also have permission to add up to two Tags to other peoples posts (i.e. if the OP didn't tag it or they feel the original post warrants a tag for something else). Currently the total limit for Tags on any given thread is 8, though I've yet to see a thread that should need more than 3 or 4 tops.

Once you know what you want to tag your thread with the process is stupid simple.

1. Create a new thread as you normally would, but don't click the "Submit New Thread" button just yet.
    2. Below the are where you typed in your post, you will see "Post Icons" that you can select that will show up in the main thread list in the board next to your post title. Just below that you will see "Tags:" with an entry field below it. This is where you will type in your Tag(s).

Attachment 6340

3. Type in the Tags you wish to tag the post
    4. Once finished, click the "Submit New Thread" button just as you normally would.

Yes, it's really that simple and easy!

How to Tag an Existing Thread Someone Else Started (Paid Members Only):

1. Go into the thread you want to add a Tag or Tags to
    2. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. If you have permission to Add/Edit Tags you will see an area below the last post and "Reply To Thread" button (or quick response box) labelled "Tags for this Thread."

Attachment 6338

3. Click on the "Add/Edit Tags" button and you will be given a field to enter any additional tags you would like to add. (note, in this image you can see I have the option to remove tags by unchecking the boxes - you will not have that option)

Attachment 6339
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain