Thread: Custom build Savage Trophy Hunter XP Rifle

Basic Member

Custom build Savage Trophy Hunter XP Rifle

Hi to you all,
    Thank you for allowing me to join your forum on Savage rifles.

I live in New Zealand and I am wanting advice on how to custom build my first Savage rifle.
    The only Savage rifle available here in NZ to suit my needs is a Savage Trophy Hunter XP .223 cal but I want to rebarrel the rifle to .243 cal. We have available here in NZ a blank .243 cal 26" long Shilen barrel. I would like to mount this rifle on a Boyd custom stock.

My question is can I run a .243 shell through a .223 action & magazine and do you see any match up problems with my build?

Many thanks in advance.
    bullbarrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Hi to you all,
    Thank you for allowing me to join your forum on Savage rifles.

I live in New Zealand and I am wanting advice on how to custom build my first Savage rifle.
    The only Savage rifle available here in NZ to suit my needs is a Savage Trophy Hunter XP .223 cal but I want to rebarrel the rifle to .243 cal. We have available here in NZ a blank .243 cal 26" long Shilen barrel. I would like to mount this rifle on a Boyd custom stock.

My question is can I run a .243 shell through a .223 action & magazine and do you see any match up problems with my build?

Many thanks in advance.
    bullbarrel.
    I wouldnt think so because I believe the 243 parent case is a 308.. probably would need different magazine and bolt face.. all that's a guess though, I've never owned a 243.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Short answer is yes. Savage rifles come in short and standard (also known as long). Savage, like most companies today, doesn't tailor an action length specific to 223 Rem, and similar length cartridges.

Your action is a short/308 action so it will fit a 243 win. To clarify, is it an Axis XP action? Or the Trophy Hunter XP, which is essentially a model 10 action? Photos wou help to clarify. The model 10 variant actions are preferred, but I have to admit I've never shot an axis. They all share same barrel/receiver threads tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    One more clarification. Yes, you will need to change out bolt face to .470 (+,-) which is often times labeled .308 bolt face or standard bolt face.

It's one of the advantages to a Savage rifle; the bolt although not a single piece is modular. The floating bolt head allows for ease of headspacing.

Basic Member
    Just to make clear. To change from .223 to .243 (besides the barrel) you will need to change the bolt face and the magazine. Neither is difficult or hard to find.

You may also need to enlarge the barrel channel for the Shilen barrel depending on which contour you buy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isacpotatoes View Post
    Short answer is yes. Savage rifles come in short and standard (also known as long). Savage, like most companies today, doesn't tailor an action length specific to 223 Rem, and similar length cartridges.

Your action is a short/308 action so it will fit a 243 win. To clarify, is it an Axis XP action? Or the Trophy Hunter XP, which is essentially a model 10 action? Photos wou help to clarify. The model 10 variant actions are preferred, but I have to admit I've never shot an axis. They all share same barrel/receiver threads tho!

These are the Specs advertised on our local firearm web site for a Savage Trophy Hunter XP .223

• Detachable box magazine
    • Weaver 3-9x40 Scope, Mounted and Bore Sighted
    • O.A.L.: SA - 41.75" (WSM - 43.5"); LA - 42.5" (Mag. - 44.5")
    • Barrel: 22" (WSM & Mag. & Norma - 24")
    • Mag. Cap.: 4 rds. (Mag - 3; WSM - 2)
    • Wt.: 7.25 lbs. (Mag. - 8.25 lbs.; WSM - 7.5 lbs.)
    • AccuTrigger
    • Matte black synthetic stock
    • Matte black car

https://www.wildoutdoorsman.co.nz/pr...ver-Kaspa.html

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Another Savage model that is available here in New Zealand ( but more expensive) is the "Model 16" in .243 cal. Would this be an easier option to adapt to a 26" Shilen barrel in .243?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Another Savage model that is available here in New Zealand ( but more expensive) is the "Model 16" in .243 cal. Would this be an easier option to adapt to a 26" Shilen barrel in .243?
    Yes, you would have the correct magazine and bolt head. Just need tools, go gauge and barrel.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Yes, you would have the correct magazine and bolt head. Just need tools, go gauge and barrel.
    Spot on olddav.

Like the other posters, I would go the 116 route for the same reasons. For some swaps, changing the bolt head includes firing pin adjustment. Some firing pins are not adjustable. So having the correct bolt head, firing pin protrusion and the correct mag from the get go will trump having to swap out the other components price wise. I would also try the savage barrel before mounting a Shilen unless you need a different profile or twist rate. Good luck with your endeavor.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.