Thread: savage red target trigger and savage model 12 varmint trigger

Basic Member

savage red target trigger and savage model 12 varmint trigger

Can someone tell me are the red blade target trigger spings the same as the ones used in the savage model 12 bvss models?

Basic Member
    The trigger return springs are the same, the blade return spring is lighter on the red blade.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    i have turned my adjustment all the way down on my spring but it still is 1.7 lbs.
    Is their a aftermarket spring or trigger that will get me to about 1lb?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESEVEN View Post
    i have turned my adjustment all the way down on my spring but it still is 1.7 lbs.
    Is their a aftermarket spring or trigger that will get me to about 1lb?
    Call northland shooter supply.. they have a spring that will get you there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    thanks Ted

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESEVEN View Post
    thanks Ted
    No problem

Team Savage
    Doesn't the red trigger use a special sear? My understanding, without the "red" sear, 1 # safely is impossible.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Doesn't the red trigger use a special sear? My understanding, without the "red" sear, 1 # safely is impossible.

Bill
    Remember Bill, it is an Accutrigger.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Doesn't the target (red blade) Accutrigger use a different sear from the regular and varmint Accutrigger?

Sear 6oz 106427

Bill

Team Savage

Doesn't the target (red blade) Accutrigger use a different sear from the regular and varmint Accutrigger?

Sear 6oz 106427

Bill
    That's what I recall reading in these forums. Here's the FAQ topic - https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Part-Numbers

Yes the parts are different between the three versions but the Accutrigger is a safety, so an unsafe condition cannot exist unless you pull the safety blade out. Chive on.

Team Savage
    Robinhood...... you are right. Almost impossible to get a slam fire with the accutrigger, but if the sear slips, it jams up, but doesn't slam fire. My understanding, that is what happens when you get the pull too light. Can you even buy the "red" Accutrigger sear? I got springs from Jim, but there was no mention of the special sear.

Basic Member
    Robinhood...... you are right. Almost impossible to get a slam fire with the accutrigger, but if the sear slips, it jams up, but doesn't slam fire. My understanding, that is what happens when you get the pull too light. Can you even buy the "red" Accutrigger sear? I got springs from Jim, but there was no mention of the special sear.
    Did you get it from Jim at northland shooter supply. Jim up there can hansor about any question you have related to savages

Basic Member
    If you can get the springs from Northland, do so. You will spit blood to get Savage to sell you some.

Bsekf, Hotolds442 was kind enough to assemble the parts list with factory numbers for all three Accutriggers as you know. The standard, the Varmint and the Target. For others, if you follow this link you can compare part numbers and get an education on the different parts for each trigger. Thank Hotplds442 and Jim Baker for access to this information.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Part-Numbers

Basic Member
    That link goes somewhere else.

That link goes somewhere else.
    I tried it and it goes to the intended page(Factory Accutrigger Part Numbers)
    when I click on it charlie b. Where does it go when you click on it?

Basic Member
    That's weird. When on my tablet (Tapatalk) it goes to another thread. When on the PC it goes to the proper place. Sorry for the drama :)

Ha, No problem Brother. Bleeping Technology.

Basic Member
    Yeah, Tapatalk is kind of a nice app, but, it has a few bugs in it that are irritating. This was a new one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yeah, Tapatalk is kind of a nice app, but, it has a few bugs in it that are irritating. This was a new one for me.
    I flipping HATE TapaTalk, and only run it here because it's a little (and only a little) better for mobile users than using a browser (Safari or the like) and the Mobile style for the site. What I hate most about it is that it doesn't support half the site (the articles), it only sees and supports the forum so those who find their way here with it are missing a ton of info and don't even know it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I agree. I even uninstalled it from my tablet for a while, but, the browser for tablets is kinda hokey as well so I put it back on. Just glad I don't use the tablet much.

Basic Member
    I've been retro-fitting all my model 12FV's with Target Accutriggers. The sear is unique to the target trigger, and is identified by a dimple on the side of the release lever, so changing a spring will not make a varmint trigger into a target trigger. I'll do some experimenting to see if changing the sear will be enough to convert it, but it's so easy to simply buy a used target trigger off this and other sites, why bother. Besides, the red blade is kinda cool.

As far as buying a sear, Savage will sell to a Licensed gunsmith, so you can always have one purchased for you. But you'll need a serial number from a target rifle to do so. Just got one several months ago by doing this. Wanted two, but they only sold one.

Changing out triggers is about a 5 minute operation. Very simple and, in my mind, highly recommended if you're only shooting paper. I would not recommend it for hunting purposes.

There are shim kits available (triggershims.com) to shim the side play out of your trigger if you're experiencing trigger lock up. Some careful work during installation will yield a very light trigger pull, 6 oz or slightly less in my case.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Is there one for sale that you know of?

i can tell you Savage is no help...