Thread: Mark ii-fv sr

Basic Member

Mark ii-fv sr

i am in the market for a 22 rimfire mainly for bench shooting at 50yds, i am currently shooting a CZ 452 and it is so so accurate, i am thinking about this savage mark II fv sr and installing an aftermarket stock and hope this will be accurate to compete with and hope it will be more accurate than my CZ, does this sound like it may do the job. or if any shooters can suggest something other than my choice. if so, what would be a good choice for a stock.

chet

Basic Member
    Chet: All I can tell you is the results I'm able to achieve with what I shoot with. I shoot in prone matches (F class - front & rear rest). The distance is 50 & 100 yards. At least half the folks I shoot with have much more expensive rifles than my Savage MarkII BV. The rifle has a Nikon 3-9X40 and I use CCI standard velocity ammo. Some use more expensive ammo. Out of a possible 1200 score, the consistent winner shoot in the 1190 to 1195 range with 80 to 85 X's. My range is 1185 to 1189 with around 60X's. I've yet to crack 1190 but it is possible. I also shoot in Tactical steel matches (35 to 125 yards) with a Savage A22 and a Boyd stock using the same scope and ammo as the Mark II. It's a more difficult match than the prone. I end up in the middle of the pack but improve my finish position every match. I don't know what to tell you but I'm satisfied with the results for the money I spent from both Savage rifles. To an extent, it's not the gun - it's the guy behind it that dictates the score.

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    i am in the market for a 22 rimfire mainly for bench shooting at 50yds, i am currently shooting a CZ 452 and it is so so accurate, i am thinking about this savage mark II fv sr and installing an aftermarket stock and hope this will be accurate to compete with and hope it will be more accurate than my CZ, does this sound like it may do the job. or if any shooters can suggest something other than my choice. if so, what would be a good choice for a stock.

chet

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Chet: All I can tell you is the results I'm able to achieve with what I shoot with. I shoot in prone matches (F class - front & rear rest). The distance is 50 & 100 yards. At least half the folks I shoot with have much more expensive rifles than my Savage MarkII BV. The rifle has a Nikon 3-9X40 and I use CCI standard velocity ammo. Some use more expensive ammo. Out of a possible 1200 score, the consistent winner shoot in the 1190 to 1195 range with 80 to 85 X's. My range is 1185 to 1189 with around 60X's. I've yet to crack 1190 but it is possible. I also shoot in Tactical steel matches (35 to 125 yards) with a Savage A22 and a Boyd stock using the same scope and ammo as the Mark II. It's a more difficult match than the prone. I end up in the middle of the pack but improve my finish position every match. I don't know what to tell you but I'm satisfied with the results for the money I spent from both Savage rifles. To an extent, it's not the gun - it's the guy behind it that dictates the score.
    hi Don

after reading a bit more, i ordered the B22 model 70203 which has the rotary magazine vs the clip type.

chet

Basic Member
    Chet: Nice looking rifle!! I don't think anyone can go wrong with any Savage rifle.

In my prone matches there are no Ruger 10/22's but in the tactical matches I'm shooting against about 75% of them. I'm the only one with a Savage and I have no trouble out shooting most of them. Originally, I bought the Mark II BV for the Tactical and with the bull barrel it's a tack driver. Unfortunately, I had to refocus every time I racked the bolt and with only 80 seconds per stage the bolt, mag change plus movement didn't work for me. I needed a semi auto and almost purchased a Ruger 10/22 but the accuracy of the Mark II convinced me that I could duplicate it with the A22 -- and I was right.

The A22 has a rotary magazine like the Ruger 10/22. A speed loader is available for the Ruger but not for the Savage rotary. I find that personally the Savage rotary is hard to reload. I've watched video's etc and still can't get the hang of it. To save my fingers and speed up the process, after I insert the 1st shell, I use a "wooden chopstick" to push that shell down and insert the next shell. I'm getting pretty quick with that method. Since I don't have time to fool around during a match and between stages, I have 4 mags. For the prone matches I have 5 mags -- 5 mags is one less thing to think about per stage.

Incidentely, the rotary mags fit nicely in a speed loader belt pouch (Amazon $5.00) - beats having them loose and laying in the dirt etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    hi Don

after reading a bit more, i ordered the B22 model 70203 which has the rotary magazine vs the clip type.

chet

Think you'll be very happy with that B22. Both the B-series rimfires I've shot so far have been extremely accurate and the one in 22LR seemed to shoot most any ammo well (the .17 HMR was a little more finicky). If you're planning on just shooting benchrest with it, you might want to shoot an email or PM off to SharpShooter here on the site as I'm fairly certain he has a benchrest stock pattern that will work with a B-series barreled action. I know he has the program to cut the inlet on the CNC as he did a varmint stock for one a year or so ago.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain