Thread: Stevens Savge 59B .410 Shotgun

Stevens Savge 59B .410 Shotgun

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out the manufacture date of a 59B 410 shotgun but I am having trouble narrowing it down.
    This gun was bought by my great-grandfather, given to my grandfather, which was given to me when my grandmother passed away. I restored it and am trying to date the gun for the display case I have to show it off.

I hope some guys on here can help me get details on part\layout changes by the years, fill in gaps of knowledge, and ultimately find the date of manufacture.
    I originally dated the gun at 1957, but then realized my great-grandfather died in 1955, so it makes it really hard for him have purchased this gun.

So any help you can offer I would really appreciate it; especially if I have anything wrong.

Important note: The gun does not have a serial number.

I called about 6 gun part resellers and gunsmiths of savage arms weapons. They could not really add to what I had or they could and didn't want to spend the time to tell me\write it down. Savage arms, the company, didn't help at all either - Their response was to send a letter (PHYSICAL LETTER) to their history department asking for help (they don't give a guarantee to answer my questions and it cost $65).

Here is what I have so far:
    - The Stevens Model 59 was made between 1934 and 1973
    ------> The Mod 59A started in 1934, then it was replaced by the Mod 59B in 1949
    ------> Somewhere before 1973, the 59C replaced the 59B (Although I have never seen a 59C for sale)
    - Savage dropped j in j Stevens when stamping in 1940
    - Stevens AND Savage names appear on the gun, post 1948.
    - Savage closed the Chicopee, Ma plant in 1960, so any gun with that name must be pre-1960
    - Govrnt required serials starting in 1969 (passed bill in 1968)
    - Date Stamps info (1948-1969)
    ------> After 1948, all Stevens and Savage guns carried a date code stamped onto the gun. The date code stamp was in a 1/4″ circle or oval containing a letter and a number. The letter corresponds to the year of manufacture using the following translation. A is 1949. B is 1950 and so on through X. This code can be found almost anywhere on the gun and sometimes requires removing the stock to find it.
    -----> "O" and "Q" were not used because of the similarity to zero.

A 1949
    B 1950
    C 1951
    D 1952
    E 1953
    F 1954
    G 1955
    H 1956
    I 1957 ---> I believe I found a stamp on the top of the barrel just in front of the receiver (14I). It was hard to make out, but I believe it was 14I or 11I.
    J 1958
    K 1959
    L 1960
    M 1961
    N 1962
    P 1963
    R 1964
    S 1965
    T 1966
    U 1967
    V 1968
    W 1969

Thanks!!

Almost impossible to accurately date the older utility guns like this that were made without a serial number. These were cheap, no-frills firearms that were generally used hard rather than pampered and well cared for. I think you're going to be hard pressed to narrow down a manufacture date any closer than you already have with the above info. I would be inclined to say it was made in 1957 with the date stamp indicated, in which case the story of the guns heritage may be what's throwing a wrench in the works. We all know how the mind likes to play tricks on us as we age and the story has been passed down at least a couple generations at this point.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I hear ya. I was hoping for some things like, they changed this part or painted this piece at these years. When I look online, I see two or 3 different types of finger guards but I can't tell when savage started making each one. So I was hoping some history buffs might know some small details like that.

As for the family, I can ask around again. I doubt they got the year he died wrong, but its possible my GGF didn't buy the gun. Although they were pretty confident my GF didn't guy any guns himself; just used his fathers.

I can't see to figure out how to attach a photo so I tried copy paste below. Hopefully they come out as clear as they are on phone.

I was also considering getting a gun digest from 1974, thinking that might help me narrow it down. Any thoughts on that plan?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Digest-...YAAOSwiTNdSjZ3

Not sure what you copied and pasted for a photo link there, but whatever it was - DO NOT do it again. LOL Just took me 5 minutes to highlight and delete that mess.

Here's the info you need for posting photos: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-(All-Members)
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    I hear ya. I was hoping for some things like, they changed this part or painted this piece at these years. When I look online, I see two or 3 different types of finger guards but I can't tell when savage started making each one. So I was hoping some history buffs might know some small details like that.
    The problem, as I noted before, is that these were low-end, cheap utility guns that have little to no collector interest or value rather than higher end guns that are more sought after by collectors. The more collector interest there is, the more detailed information you'll be able to find. That's just the way it works.

The other problem is that Savage didn't put much of a priority on record keeping for the types of things you're looking for. They made a note of such things for warranty purposes, but such records weren't considered important or worth saving years later. Given how many times Savage Arms was bought and sold in the 20th century it's amazing any records have survived, and it's no surprise that those that actually did managed to so so because they were purchased by a private individual who then served as Savage's historian. Said records are now back with Savage Arms, but they're fairly limited and mostly pertain to more premium models made before 1940 and only cover serial numbered guns.

Going through my old catalogs it is clear that Savage never made a distinction between an "A", "B" or "C" models - the model number was 59 all the way up through 1973. Typically, Savage would use a "Series X" (X being a letter) to designate small changes to parts used on the rifle which basically just let them know which version of a part to use if the firearms ever came back to the factory for warranty/repair work. Usually you will see this "Series X" engraved on the side of the receiver or on the barrel after the model #. For example: Model 110C Series J

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Not sure what you copied and pasted for a photo link there, but whatever it was - DO NOT do it again. LOL Just took me 5 minutes to highlight and delete that mess.

Here's the info you need for posting photos: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-(All-Members)
    I just copied and pasted the pictures in. I guess that doesn't work. lol.

Here is what I am using a a date code.

Well I have no idea why that second photo is blurry. Hopefully clicking on it will make it visible.
    Those pics are Hi-def on the website.

Photobucket now blurs photos shared on other sites after they've been viewed so many times in a given day I believe. Basically they want you to purchase a subscription from them.

Definitely looks like 14I in the stamp, and since the outer circle is clearly visible on the top and around to the right side towards the bottom I don't think any part of the last letter didn't print that could make it anything else.

Do you think one of these books will help narrow down the years?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gun-Digest-...YAAOSwiTNdSjZ3

Anyone?

Picking up where you left off...

I like what you did with your research, @Grasshopper. I did the same thing with a vintage Buck folding knife and by using the stamps on the blade was able to narrow doen the model and version and even the factory where it was made...even though no real "records" were kept by Buck Knives. Even though the company might not have kept records, narrowing down the date of manufacture is made easier when the market was flooded with these knives. They made thousands and thousands of them. And every time they refined the knife...the stamp changed a little. Just look at what this knife enthusiast did: http://historyofthe110.com/

SO I think you're on the right track. I have a Westernfield Model 14 that was purportedly given to my grandfather as a present in 1933. Every person says the same thing - the guns weren't made until 1934. But at least I'm in the ballpark. And every Westernfield 14 that I've seen on the internet has a model number that expands beyond just "14".

Interestingly, there's a couple of stamps on my barrel. I'm wondering if you've seen any stamps that are symbols. Mone of the stamps is a circle with 3 ticks at the 2, 6 and 10 o'clock position.

Happy to trade info offline. This website's forum doesn't seem to like pasting photos.

Chris

Basic Member
    14I would definitely be 1957, I'd say you nailed it.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
    14I would definitely be 1957, I'd say you nailed it.
    Yep. The 2 digits in the oval circle are the inspector's stamp and the alpha character, "I" in this case, is the date code.