Thread: New to Savage 110 CL

New to Savage 110 CL

Hi,
    I’m a new owner to an old (1983) Savage 110 CL and I’ve got a question for more experienced owners. I’m quite inexperienced in the field of bolt action rifles, which might explain my problem. When I have fired the gun, the force needed to open the bolt seems, imho, excessive. I realize that the force is needed to cock the rifle, but in your more experienced view, is the Savage more prone to needing much force for this? When I open the bolt without having fired the gun, I have no trouble at all, but when uncocked I really have to force the bolt up.

Basic Member
    As a general rule, Savage 110 rifles need more force to cock the bolt. I have a 110 CL and do not notice the extra force needed because almost all my rifles are Savages. You get used to it. On the other hand a good cleaning and lube might help.

Basic Member
    Check Nate Lambeth , Savage bolt lift kit,lightens bolt lift 50% allows you to set firing pin strike depth $ 35 plus shpg

Thanks for the replies and advices! I’ll clean and lube it and look into the bolt lift kit.

The bolt was really in need of cleaning, it was quite gritty.