Thread: Got the 6.5-06 finished

Basic Member

Got the 6.5-06 finished

I picked up a barely used Savage 116 30-06 a while back for pretty cheap. Had plans to build it into a 6.5-06 for bench shooting. It was a bottom-bolt release and the magazine is the "new" Axis-style with the mag release as part of the magazine and the cheap plastic stock and plastic trigger guard. Trigger is the Accu-trigger.

Well, I finally got it done and got to the range today.

Build Specs:
    Action - Savage 116
    Barrel - X-Caliber pre-fit that I got for 45% off for their Trump birthday special. 8-twist, 5R rifling. Six straight flutes. Savage Varmint profile, finished at 24" and threaded 5/8"-24.
    Bolt Handle: Glades Armory tactical
    Barrel Nut and Recoil Lug: Patriot Valley Arms
    Stock: HS Precision PST-129
    Base - EGW 20MOA
    Rings: SWFA SS-Tac 30mm Low
    Scope: SWFA SS 3-15X42
    Other mods: New trigger spring from The Gun Shack (trigger pull is right at 1.75# now), converted the magazine to the older style with the release on the bottom metal and the magazine to the all metal type. Stainless steel trigger guard from The Gun Shack. New bottom metal from Numrich, which I painted with Aluminum Krylon 2-in-1.

The PROS - This thing will shoot. I loaded up some basic ammo (50.5 grains of Rx-19 with a Hornady 120 grain A-Max bullet) just to get the scope sighted in. I shot three 3-shot groups to zero the scope and then shot this 5-shot group. This is with just a bipod and rear bag.

They talk about "a group you could cover with a dime." Well???

Another pro is that the stock fits me pretty well. It positions the gun well when using the bipod. It also works with the Bottom Bolt release without any modifications (there is a gap where the top bolt release would be, but it isn't very noticable).
    Final pro is that while I really don't like the blade type trigger safeties, the trigger on this one is pretty solid with the new trigger spring.

Cons:
    - The primary extraction is not optimal as it is very near the end of the bolt throw. I am going to try a new bolt, but I might have to modify the bolt shroud to improve the primary extraction.
    - The throat on the barrel seems pretty short. The book COAL for the 120 A-Max load is listed at 3.250". I had to seat them at 3.205" in order to chamber them. I have the drill bit and tap to make a modified case to use with my Hornady bullet seater tool and bullet comparator, so I will be able to confirm. It may have been the cases I was using that were contributing (PPU 270 brass sized down and trimmed).
    - The threaded for the suppressor / muzzle brake are a bit long. Longer than any of my other guns, so if I use my direct thread suppressors on my other guns, I have to clean the threads really well to get it to fully seat on this barrel.
    - The bottom bolt release. Whoever at Savage thought this was a good idea needs to be kicked in the nuts, repeatedly.

Overall, the Cons don't outweigh the Pros at this point as long as it keeps shooting this well. We shall see.

Primary extraction is designed to be at the end of the bolt lift. Why not load a dummy round at book length and re seat seat the bullet .005 deeper until the bolt closes rather than making a LNL gauge. I formerly made them, I clamped 2 pieces of poplar in a vice and drilled an appropriate size hole down the splitline. Put a small piece of jar lid gripper around the case and squeezed it slightly so it does not slip and you don't distort the case while drilling. Like Burger King.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That's a great looking rifle. Nicely done. I have a model 10 receiver that I would like to do something similar with. Just trying to decide which cartridge.

Would you mind sharing the part numbers on the bottom metal and trigger guard? Thanks

Basic Member
    The bottom metal I used was product #1729670 from Numrich. However, mine is a 116 (Long Action). For a model 10, you would need the short action version.
    The trigger guard I used was this one: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...roduct_id=1847 I was able to swap the plastic bolt release button and spring quite easily to this new trigger guard.

This is the trigger spring I used: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...able%20trigger I would highly recommend it!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunHTR View Post
    The bottom metal I used was product #1729670 from Numrich. However, mine is a 116 (Long Action). For a model 10, you would need the short action version.
    The trigger guard I used was this one: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...roduct_id=1847 I was able to swap the plastic bolt release button and spring quite easily to this new trigger guard.

This is the trigger spring I used: http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...able%20trigger I would highly recommend it!
    Thank you. Happy shooting.