Thread: Parts needed toConvert a pre-66 Savage bolt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Parts needed toConvert a pre-66 Savage bolt

I have a pre-66 Savage I want to rebarrel. It looks to be cheaper to get a new bolt than fool with machining in the barrel to fit the old bolt.

From what I can tell, I'll need a new bolt body, a new complete bolt head, new cross pin and new firing pin. Is that all? I won't need a new front baffle or firing pin spring or any other small parts in the bolt?

It's a long action left hand bolt, so I am going to have to piece it together. Apparently nobody in the whole world sells a complete left hand long action Savage bolt. Savage sure won't.
    As an aside, Savage told me their Bolts were serialized and headspaced to the barrel. they dont serialize the bolts do they?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyling View Post
    I have a pre-66 Savage I want to rebarrel. It looks to be cheaper to get a new bolt than fool with machining in the barrel to fit the old bolt.

From what I can tell, I'll need a new bolt body, a new complete bolt head, new cross pin and new firing pin. Is that all? I won't need a new front baffle or firing pin spring or any other small parts in the bolt?

It's a long action left hand bolt, so I am going to have to piece it together. Apparently nobody in the whole world sells a complete left hand long action Savage bolt. Savage sure won't.
    As an aside, Savage told me their Bolts were serialized and headspaced to the barrel. they dont serialize the bolts do they?
    I converted a right hand years ago with the parts you mentionef. You will need the small bolt head parts also, the extractor, extractor ball, ejector, their springs & ejector retainer pin. I can't recall seeing serialized numbers on a bolt either.
    Headspacing can be accomplished on all setups so their excuse is a non-issue as far as I would guess.
    There are so many inexpensive used actions available now it may be wise to consider one of them where parts availability I'd better. The pre-66 trigger is not bad & adjustable but if you ever need parts they might be impossible to find. The newer actions have aftermarket triggers available at reasonable prices.
    IMHO,
    Randy

Team Savage

FWIW, I have a pre-66 110 and the bolt is serialized to the action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    FWIW, I have a pre-66 110 and the bolt is serialized to the action.
    Interesting
    Never noticed, I might still have old bolt parts for the one I had. Where were the numbers located?

Team Savage

Bottom of bolt body at rear.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Bottom of bolt body at rear.
    Thanks for info, looked & found parts that were left.
    Found nothing on the bolt body nor the bolt head. The front & rear baffles and bolt handle were reused on my granddaughter's deer rifle but right now they are in a different state.
    Interesting though.