Thread: Boyds gunstock order from Canada and resending it to Germany

Boyds gunstock order from Canada and resending it to Germany

Hi guys,
    due to ITAR-restrictions Boyds will not ship a replacement gunstock exceeding the worth of US$ 100 to Germany.
    Imho free of sense, because all in all it´s just of wooden nature and I wasn´t able to find any US citizen shot by a piece of wood
    And Savage sells the Hog Hunter in Germany without ITAR-restrictions

Anyway, unfortunately I´m affected

Nevertheless, they will ship a gunstock for my Savage 11 Hog Hunter to Canada, their limit is US$ 500...

Is a canadian guy here on the panel willing to order and resend the gunstock to my german adress?
    Or is Canada also affected by US ITAR-restrictions resending gunstocks abroad?
    I don´t want anyone getting in trouble...

For sure, I would send the money in advance by the help of Paypal...
    It would help me that much

Thanks for helping and best wishes
    Dirk

Basic Member
    Dirk, it is bad form to ask someone to work around U.S. shipping restrictions, and your request could get you removed from this forum. You are asking someone to help you break a U.S. federal law by shipping restricted weapon components. While you may be correct that a piece of wood is harmless, if it is restricted then it is illegal for us. And no person in his or her right mind would jeopardize their own freedom to ship a piece of wood. The answer is No.

No idea how the restrictions work, but this thread may be of help.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?65329-International-Suppliers-of-Boyd-Stocks
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

If I lived in Canada I would gladly help.

Team Savage

From the link above:

Europe:
    Brownells Europe, Throughout Europe

Germany:
    Reimer Johannsen GMBH, Neumunster

In addition to those, there may be neighboring country suppliers you could source a stock without the ITAR restrictions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Benmuncie View Post
    You are asking someone to help you break a U.S. federal law
    Thank you for your reply, but, as mentioned before, I never wanted US citizens to get in trouble.
    For that reason my request just addressed Canadians.
    Correct me, if I´m wrong, but as far as I know US federal law is not applied to Canada.

As export from Canada to Germany in general is not illegal, it´s not just kind of overshoot insinuating an intention of lawbreaking, but simply inappropriate.
    Before asking, I searched the web trying to gather infos to this end, but didn´t succeed.
    And, of course, if canadian law is also prohibiting export of ITAR-goods originating in the USA, I´ll fully respect it, no question about it!
    But if not, it could be legal, so why blaming me?

@ 6mmBR Shooter

Thank you for the link.

@ BB68

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Europe:
    Brownells Europe, Throughout Europe

Germany:
    Reimer Johannsen GMBH, Neumunster

In addition to those, there may be neighboring country suppliers you could source a stock without the ITAR restrictions here.

Thank you for the sources.
    Before asking here on the forum I was in touch with those guys.
    Beside the fact, they are offering unrealistic high prices I nevertheless would accept, for no apparent reason I was told, they cannot deliver the gunstock, I´m keen on
    Same with neighbor countries here in Europe...

Well, if no Canadian would be able to help or enlighten the regarding canadian laws, I´d take a closer look at plan B:
    Boyds is offering rapid fire sales, where a few Savage gunstocks are less than 100 bucks, so export is possible on a legal base.
    Unfortunately the Savage 11 HH is not on the list

As a workaround I could order such a gunstock originating from a similiar Savage and invest some additional inletting work to fit in my HH´s action and barrel. Hopefully no big deal, I´m fully quipped with the necessary tools...
    Any suggestions, which Boyds Savage gunstock might be a good base for such a purpose?

But I suggest, it´s a better idea to open a new thread on that topic...

Thanks for helping and best wishes
    Dirk

I'm not familiar with Canada's import/export laws, and a quick google search only got me results from exporting from Canada to the U.S. in which ITAR would apply. That said, I would make DAMN SURE it's perfectly legal to do so BEFORE asking someone to do this for you. You said you've researched online with poor results, that to me doesn't quantify as "damn sure." You might be best served to go over to www.CanadianGunNutz.com and first ask around there if it's legal for an individual to ship a rifle stock from Canada to Germany (or anywhere in the E.U.). That site's specifically for Canadians so if anyone will know the answer they will.

That said, your best bet might be the Rapid Fire sales. So long as you know the screw spacing, magazine type and bolt release location on your Hog Hunter you can match it up to a stock in the Rapid Fire section. I'm assuming it's a short action with 4.40" screw spacing, blind center-feed magazine and top bolt release. Any stock for a short-action (Model 10, 11, 12, 14, 16) that matches those features will fit your rifle. The only thing you may have to do is open the barrel channel up a little since you're barrel contour is a little larger than a standard sporter barrel. Easy enough to do with a deep well socket or wooden dowel wrapped in course sandpaper.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Dirk, sorry for my response. I read the entire post, but the Canada part did not process in my brain. I got stuck thinking U.S. to Canada to Germany. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    ...that to me doesn't quantify as "damn sure."
    Exactly this is my dilemma, would be bad coming myself into conflict with any law, but also bringing anybody else into trouble is a 100%

www.CanadianGunNutz.com
    Thank you. That´s the place to raise my concern.

I'm assuming it's a short action with 4.40" screw spacing, blind center-feed magazine and top bolt release.
    Hit, you are describing my HH exactly.

Any stock for a short-action (Model 10, 11, 12, 14, 16) that matches those features will fit your rifle.
    Thanks again for the valuable information, I´m lacking the other Savages, so I can´t practically evaluate this.
    The more I´m reconsidering my problem the more I´m coming to the conclusion solving it that way is the best idea.
    The gunstock is below US$ 100 and opening the barrel channel is done in 2 or 3 hours...

It´s my deep concern, a Canadian might also be wrong at guessing what the intermediary laws of different countries could mean while the evaluation is somehow complicated.
    A little too complicated for my tastes...

Quote Originally Posted by Benmuncie View Post
    Dirk, sorry...
    Everything is fine

Thanks to all of you, I´ll give you an update regarding my decision after further investigation...
    Dirk

Looks like Boyds have a couple options in the Rapid Fire section that would fit your rifle right now for $95.55
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain