Thread: Why Won't Savage Sell a Barrell?

Basic Member

Why Won't Savage Sell a Barrell?

My pea brain says to me it is because they want list price and their gunsmith to install and charge me for it and shipping both ways is on my dime. It is a drop in barrel and can be done in 1/2 hour or less. I loved my 30" inch Savage barrel and not in love with my Shilen 28" replacement.

Is there another reason I may not be seeing? When asked, the answer was company policy.

Basic Member
    I assume it's because they don't want home gamers messing up the headspace and blowing themselves to pieces....yet they tout the benefits of "headspace control". Go figure...

Does anyone know of someone blowing themselves or their rifle up do to headspace issues? There has to be more to it. Why you haven't you contacted or called Shilen?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    My guess is Savage wants to sell rifles not rifle parts.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    My guess is Savage wants to sell rifles not rifle parts.
    That, and for liability reasons they won't let a barrel leave the factory w/o being proof tested and stamped for caliber - both of which occur after it's been mated to an action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I guess I would be surprised if Savage did offer barrels to the "unwashed". I would also suppose that Savage would sell barrels to certified gunsmiths. Even then they would have to be much cheaper than folks like EA Brown and Shaw.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I would also suppose that Savage would sell barrels to certified gunsmiths. Even then they would have to be much cheaper than folks like EA Brown and Shaw.
    That would be incorrect. They don't sell direct to (most) FFL's- not barrels, not receivers. If I need a Savage receiver, I need to buy from NSS.

Basic Member
    WHY would they sell a barrel,when they can sell a complete rifle

Basic Member
    Will their custom shop rebarrel your savage rifle? Or do they only build new rifles on demand?
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    That would be incorrect. They don't sell direct to (most) FFL's- not barrels, not receivers. If I need a Savage receiver, I need to buy from NSS.
    So where does NSS get their stuff?

Basic Member
    Here's my take: If they sold barrels like any other company the price would be to make good money on parts (like auto mfgs.). Barrel might be $300 or $400 bucks. They wouldn't sell many at that price compared to quality hand lapped barrels available.
    True most savage barrels shoot good some shoot great but odds are the aftermarket barrels will be better!

The OP should contact Shilen with concerns, they may be able to help or possibly make it right.

Side note: I had one 6.5 CM Savage 5R sr that stacks everything you throw at it in one ragged hole, but that is an exception to any of my other ones.

Imho,
    Randy

Basic Member
    Savage will do the job. I asked. List price for barrel and whatever the fee for the gunsmith and shipping on me both ways. My belief is Savage wants the money for the job.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That, and for liability reasons they won't let a barrel leave the factory w/o being proof tested and stamped for caliber - both of which occur after it's been mated to an action.
    I remember reading that somewhere (probably here). They want to proof test the barrel/action, then add the roll marks with the caliber and all the government safety warnings.
    If I had to make a guess, it would be lawyers keep them from selling them. Probably citing liability.

Basic Member
    I'm in the same boat as @olddav . They're in th business of selling rifles, not barrels. Who knows though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk