Thread: MSR 10 Precision in .308

Basic Member

MSR 10 Precision in .308

I am really lusting for my first semi auto rifle. The MSR 10 Precision has everything I could ask for. Has anyone tried one and how accurate is it. I would really like some input on optics. I will be shooting no more than 500 yds.

I have the MSR 10 precision in 6mm creedmoor and it is by far the most accurate semi auto I’ve ever seen.. well under 1/2 MOA

Basic Member
    Thank you so much. The specs are really impressive. I think I will go ahead and tell my wife to sell one of the kids. I never did like the red headed one.

Hahahaha ...hehehehe. Love it. Just remember the MSR has some proprietary stuff and is not supported by the aftermarket.

Palmeto State Armory has the lowest priced 308 and Aero Precision has the M5E1 that is considered a good value.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Hahahaha ...hehehehe. Love it. Just remember the MSR has some proprietary stuff and is not supported by the aftermarket.

Palmeto State Armory has the lowest priced 308 and Aero Precision has the M5E1 that is considered a good value.
    True, BUT....how do the weight's compare?

That's the biggest thing that impressed me about the MSR10 Hunter I reviewed - it was just ever so slightly heavier than my 16" AR15 Carbine. The #1 reason (in my experience) that people who don't own an AR-10 state that it's because of their bulkiness and weight. Savage addressed both of those issues with the MSR10.

Yes a lot of the parts are proprietary, but you're not looking at a bare-bones base model that's you're going to want/need to upgrade. You're getting a premium barrel. You're getting a premium BCG. You're getting a good free-floating handguard. Trigger and stock are standard spec so they can easily be changed out if you don't like the included ones. About the only thing one might want to change that would be an issue is the charging handle, but the top tier MSR10's feature the side-charger so even that's not a big deal.

Of course the Precision has a slightly longer and heavier contour barrel than the Hunter, and it has the chunky (heavy) Magpul PRS-II stock on it so it's not going to be a lightweight by any means, but I'm betting compared to a similarly equipped standard AR-10 the MSR will be a good pound or so lighter.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I have zero first hand experience with the MSR-10. All I know is what I have read. The one turn off I have is the proprietary parts.
    The one thing I have leaned owning a AR-10 style rifle with proprietary parts (DPMS G2) is aftermarket parts are a pain to find, if you can even find them.
    I will say this. If the rifle is in the exact configuration you want, and you have no plan or desire to upgrade or change out parts, then by all means go for it.
    However if you want the ability to change parts to better suit your needs (barrels, handguards, BCG, etc..) I would get a standard pattern AR-10.
    If I had to do it over again, I would went with a standard pattern instead of one with proprietary parts. While the aftermarket is very slowly starting to support the one I have, there is still nowhere near the availability of parts as there are for standard pattern models, and what parts there are, are usually more expensive.
    Not to mention if a part breaks, there is only one place you can get it from. Where if it was standard pattern, there would be a plethora of places to get said parts.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I have zero first hand experience with the MSR-10. All I know is what I have read. The one turn off I have is the proprietary parts.
    The one thing I have leaned owning a AR-10 style rifle with proprietary parts (DPMS G2) is aftermarket parts are a pain to find, if you can even find them.
    I will say this. If the rifle is in the exact configuration you want, and you have no plan or desire to upgrade or change out parts, then by all means go for it.
    However if you want the ability to change parts to better suit your needs (barrels, handguards, BCG, etc..) I would get a standard pattern AR-10.
    If I had to do it over again, I would went with a standard pattern instead of one with proprietary parts. While the aftermarket is very slowly starting to support the one I have, there is still nowhere near the availability of parts as there are for standard pattern models, and what parts there are, are usually more expensive.
    Not to mention if a part breaks, there is only one place you can get it from. Where if it was standard pattern, there would be a plethora of places to get said parts.
    From what I have been able to find, there is NO standard configuration for the AR-10. Each manufacturer does his own thing and accessories are pretty much hit or miss. The only thing I can think of adding to the MSR-10 Precision would be a tripod and scope. I really like the ARCA rail.

Basic Member

I finally got onw

I just received my Savage MSR 10 Precision in .308. Wow is that thing big. I also bought three extra MagPul 20 rnd mags and one 10 rnd mag. Adding an AccuTac ARCA bipod from Optics Planet and an Arken 2-24X50 FFP scope with their 20 MOA mount. I was able to buy 800 rnds of PMC ammo at a fair price and now just waiting for the glass to arrive to put the package together. Now I wish I had a place to shoot more than 200 yds in Ohio.