Thread: 223 factory barrel twist ID?

223 factory barrel twist ID?

I bought a model 10 HS precision, it has a model 12 223 barrel installed. I want to use it for 600 yard shooting at my local club, but i need to know what the twist is. There's a 7 on the barrel after the caliber. Is that the twist rate?

Basic Member
    More than likely a 9 twist unless it's a large shank barrel. Does the action have 3 screws (not counting the rear trigger guard screw) and a small ejection port?

You can also determine the twist with a cleaning rod, a tight fitting jag, and two pieces of tape along with measuring tape and sharpie. Just measure the distance for the cleaning rod to make one full revolution.

If nine twist, 77SMK is about the heaviest you can shoot reliably, unless you're shooting atop Pikes Peak where the air is thinner. Otherwise, any 69 grain will suffice.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I have a small shank 223 Rem 9 twist barrel that is marked with a 9 in the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I have a small shank 223 Rem 9 twist barrel that is marked with a 9 in the same manner.
    7 Twist in my opinion.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    You can always measure it. Put a patch on a cleaning jag and start in the barrel. Mark the rod at the muzzle. Push until it makes one full turn and mark again. Distance between marks is your twist.

No matter which one, it will do well at 600yd. If I do my part my lowly Axis will shoot less than MOA at 600yd with either 69 or 77gn match bullets.

Basic Member
    Savage did make a 1:7 twist .223 in certain higher end models (HS precision stock versions would be high end) that were identified on their web site.
    I was considering one of them about two years ago.
    I don't know if they still make them or not because I couldn't find one the other day when I was looking on their site.

I would say that the 1:7 twist on that rifle is a pretty good bet.

Basic Member
    IMHO 7 twist. If it is a Savage barrel with a serial number, I urge you to call Savage and ask. They will tell you for sure.