Thread: Savage 12 FV .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Savage 12 FV .308

Good morning. I think this is my first post on this forum but I have read a lot of posts. I have a question for people a lot smarter than I am.

I have a 12 FV .308 with a 26" barrel. I have not been very happy with this rifle so far but I have not shot it a lot. I do NOT like the stock at all. I am planning on buying a B&C Medalist stock from Stocky's. I wanted to get your thoughts on cutting the 26" barrel down to 20" when I take the barrel to get threaded? The purpose of cutting it down is to reduce the length of the rifle and the weight. The twist is 1:10 and I see other .308 rifles that are 18"-20" but I don't want to impact the accuracy or distance.

Thanks for your input!

velocity will suffer. Trade off.

What’s the rifle for? 1000yds an in? A 20” barrel will be fine and dandy. Do you want a real bench gun to shoot really well with lighter recoil? Then I wouldn’t cut it. If you need a more compact gun for the safe and carrying you might want to look at a folding stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    What’s the rifle for? 1000yds an in? A 20” barrel will be fine and dandy. Do you want a real bench gun to shoot really well with lighter recoil? Then I wouldn’t cut it. If you need a more compact gun for the safe and carrying you might want to look at a folding stock.

I will use it for target shooting and hunting. I have never made a 1000 yard shot but would really like to. I will be using this rifle for hog hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by gredden View Post
    I will use it for target shooting and hunting. I have never made a 1000 yard shot but would really like to. I will be using this rifle for hog hunting.
    Yea then I would hack it off nice and short.

Basic Member
    Took mine down to 18" and it really removes a lot of front end weight making easier to swing side to side. I crowned it with nothing more than a shell deburrer and it still shoots 1/2" groups.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Took mine down to 18" and it really removes a lot of front end weight making easier to swing side to side. I crowned it with nothing more than a shell deburrer and it still shoots 1/2" groups.
    Thats awesome. What kind of factory rounds does yours like?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gredden View Post
    Good morning. I think this is my first post on this forum but I have read a lot of posts. I have a question for people a lot smarter than I am.

I have a 12 FV .308 with a 26" barrel. I have not been very happy with this rifle so far but I have not shot it a lot. I do NOT like the stock at all. I am planning on buying a B&C Medalist stock from Stocky's. I wanted to get your thoughts on cutting the 26" barrel down to 20" when I take the barrel to get threaded? The purpose of cutting it down is to reduce the length of the rifle and the weight. The twist is 1:10 and I see other .308 rifles that are 18"-20" but I don't want to impact the accuracy or distance.

Thanks for your input!
    Best i recall from reading on cutting barrels, you could lose as much as 20 fps per inch you cut off. Not significant. Here's a guy who ran a test on it: https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

Sorry if against the rules to post a link. Please delete if so and accept my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    Best i recall from reading on cutting barrels, you could lose as much as 20 fps per inch you cut off. Not significant. Here's a guy who ran a test on it: https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

Sorry if against the rules to post a link. Please delete if so and accept my apologies.
    I saw something like this while researching. Going to 20" would be about 110 fps loss. In my mind that would not make much of a difference at all.