Thread: Magazine Feeding Problem

Magazine Feeding Problem

I bought a new Storm 7-08 a few months back and had a terrible time getting it to shoot anything well. I also could not load my preferred bullet any longer than 2.810" COL, due to a short distance to lands. I sent it back to Savage. They said they "polished the chamber" and everything else was fine and it was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. When I got it back, I found they had lengthened the leade a bit, but it still shot poorly. After lots of additional experimenting, I finally found it shoots Nosler 140 BT's pretty well, which happens to be what they use to test at the factory. That's all history.

Here's my current problem: If I load rounds any longer than about 2.780" COL through the magazine, they will jam, unless I close the bolt very slowly. The base of the round pops up above the bolt recess, and as it is pushed forward, the body binds against the rear of the chamber. I called Savage to see if this was a common problem and ask if I could modify the magazine lips in some way to reduce the problem. I got no suggestions, but was told they would send me a new replacement magazine. The new magazine functions exactly like the original one. I tried permanently compressing the magazine spring to reduce tension. It seems to help a little, but about one in three rounds will still fail to feed properly, not acceptable for a follow-up shot on a hunting rifle.

It seems like the simple answer is to load my ammo short to eliminate the binding, but after all these other problems, I still haven't been able to load long in my search to optimize accuracy. If it weren't for the binding problem, I could load 40 to 120 thousandths longer, depending on the bullet.

I have an older model Savage .243 with a blind box staggered-feed magazine that shoots well and functions flawlessly. Why did Savage go to the center-feed design? I am very disappointed in this new rifle. Any suggestions?

Basic Member
    It sounds like the mag lips need to be tweeked a little.
    I would close up the front of the mag lip just a little and see if it helps.
    A very small amount of change in the mag lips changes things a lot, so it can be challenging to get it right.

Jack

Nosler recommends 2.800" but that bullet design is very forgiving with regards to distance to lands. What is your powder recipe for accuracy?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

JW - Bending the lips in slightly was my original idea when I called Savage. I will give it a very careful try. Have you actually done it yourself and seen any improvement?

Robinhood - My current load is the 140 BT at 2.780" COL over 46.2 gr H4350, which gives me 2780 fps. I tried six different bullets and three different powders, getting to this point. The Nosler 140 BT and 120 BT gave me the best groups.

Basic Member
    papa45, that is very close to my best load in my Browning A-Bolt. It is 47 grains of H4350 with the 140 grain BT or AB, loaded to 2.800" OAL.

I also agree that your feed lips may need to be tweaked a bit.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=papa45;460728]JW - Bending the lips in slightly was my original idea when I called Savage. I will give it a very careful try. Have you actually done it yourself and seen any improvement?

Yes
    It is trial and error but I would squeeze the lips in just a bit if the base of the bullet is jumping out early.
    They make a tool for this --it is a magazine feed lip tool but not everyone has one in their toolbox.
    You can do this by putting all or part of the mag lips in a vise and tightening ever so slightly. You might have to try this several times to get it to bend.
    YOU DO NOT WANT TO CLAMP DOWN HARD ON THE MAG--it will be too much
    You can also use pliers or vise grips but they can scratch the mag easily
    I hope this helps
    Jack