Thread: Cutting a barrel nut wrench?

Basic Member

Cutting a barrel nut wrench?

Before I grab the dremel tool and start grinding, could someone show a good close up of how to cut the wrench. I want to be able to be able to use the wrench with out removing the scope(s). Will significantly simplify changing barrels.
    Thanks in advance.

Banned
    I’ve never heard of this.. Seems to me, any modification to a rifle, such as a barrel change, is not anything you want to “simplify”...as in, attempt to save time. What about your action wrench? Planning to use an internal wrench?

I recommend doing it correctly. Scope-less and all! Relax...take your time.... double check! These are the actions which lead to success every time. Looking for “short cuts” is the beginning stage on the way to possible disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    Before I grab the dremel tool and start grinding, could someone show a good close up of how to cut the wrench. I want to be able to be able to use the wrench with out removing the scope(s). Will significantly simplify changing barrels.
    Thanks in advance.
    Not going to happen unless you have your scope mounted REALLY high.

Several have had this pipe-dream over the years and tried to address it in different ways - all of which were never successful.

Easiest solution is to use quick-release scope rings or rings that clamp on with a 1/2" nut and make sure your bases or rail don't extend out over the recoil lug/nut. Then it's just a matter of popping the scope off and pulling the barreled action from the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    What's it take...another 2 minutes to remove the scope? You will have to re-zero anyway.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    There are some great scope rings that really suck to remove & replace in a timely fashion like Warne two piece split side to side. I mark the scope tube with a pencil but getting them exactly level and re-torque takes time.
    I like Robinhood's pics.
    Robin what material & thickness are they, i can draw one up on solidworks and have one or two laser cut for free where I retired from.

I like the 1/4 inch one. It distributes the load more evenly.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    There are some great scope rings that really suck to remove & replace in a timely fashion like Warne two piece split side to side. I mark the scope tube with a pencil but getting them exactly level and re-torque takes time.
    I like Robinhood's pics.
    Robin what material & thickness are they, i can draw one up on solidworks and have one or two laser cut for free where I retired from.
    I used a set of Warne vertical split rings once.

Nice rings but a total pain to get scope level.

I will not use them again. If I ever have to change anything on that scope, I'll probably replace them to avoid the hassle.

Warne makes some nice looking Mountain Tech rings or something. I would not hesitate to use those, just never again with vertical split.